Hash, Inc. Forums

Copy keyframes from one pose to another

DrPhibes

Hi all,

I have looked through the forums for an answer to what I am missing here, but have not found an answer.

I have a simple set up. 13 rings in a single model that expand and contract. Each ring has a separate percentage pose that provides that motion. In the Chor I am timing the expansion and contraction to a piece of video using the pose sliders.

There are moments where I would like to set three or four key frames in the timeline for ring number one, then copy and paste those key frames into the pose for ring number two on. This way I am animating one ring and not manually setting key frames for the other twelve.

Simply using "copy and paste" did not work. My quick work-around was to set a frame on all the rings and then open the project in notepad and next copy and paste from the pose of ring one to the poses of ring two onward.

It work well to do that, but how do you do it in the app?

Attached is a sample file similar to what I have built.

I am sure someone will ask why I don't use bones and an action or something, but I have it setup this way for a very good reason.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
CB

Pose CP.jpg

Cube Pose Test.prj

• Admin

I had to read through your post a few times to get oriented but I think I know what you are after.

There is something strange going on with copy/pasting keyframes of pose channels... where pasting doesn't paste... it just selects what was copied before. Very odd.

More investigation...

(Found something of a workaround in that we can copy the value of a pose slider at any frame and then paste that value into the setting of another pose on any other frame. That will create a keyframe... but that's not quite the same as directly copy/pasting keyframes)

• Hash Fellow

This is quite a "poser"

I can't see a way to do exactly what you are proposing.

If the cubes could be multiple instances of the same single cube model in the chor, instead of all in the same model, you could export the Choreography action as an Action, reimport it, and drop it on the other cubes.

The keyframes in the reimported Action could be edited for altered timing if needed.

If the cubes could be multiple instances of the same single cube model in the chor, instead of all in the same model, you could export the Choreography action as an Action, reimport it, and drop it on the other cubes.

The keyframes in the reimported Action could be edited for altered timing if needed.

I had thought of this, but the trick is that I wanted the shapes in one model for a decal trick I was using. I can do what you propose, but it complicates the decal. Also, it is so much easier to animate the structure from the pose sliders. In the end my work-around does the job, but it would be nice to just share content from one slider channel to another. I may rebuild the thing to use actions later though.

• Hash Fellow

I tried recreating the spline motion as Smartskin, thinking that I could copy and paste the keyframes for the bone rotation that drives the Smartskin but, no, I can't copy those keys from one bone to a different bone.

• Admin

Some strange/interesting things going on here.

One thing that is unfortunate and perhaps worthy of a feature request would be that all channels should be able to receive data (or send/recieve) via copy/paste and that does not appear to be the case. In a perfect world that data would also be exportable/importable as well via Right Click (Save As Curve Data) for longer term storage beyond copy/paste.

• ____ 1

• 3 weeks later...