Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Soda Can
Hash, Inc. Forums > General Discussion > New Users
LordPython
So I've tried several times (and failed) to make a soda can. I just couldn't seem to get it right, so after going through Rob's videos I tried again and I'm extremely pleased with my result. I am now wanting to make the tab (as well as the hole). I am guessing I could make the "closed" hole just a bump map, and the "open" hole just a decal. But I think the tab should actually be modeled. So I'm asking, since it's a complicated design, what would the best way to go about it be?
robcat2075
QUOTE(LordPython @ Feb 25 2012, 06:59 PM) *
So I've tried several times (and failed) to make a soda can. I just couldn't seem to get it right, so after going through Rob's videos I tried again and I'm extremely pleased with my result.

yay.gif

But I think the tab should actually be modeled. So I'm asking, since it's a complicated design, what would the best way to go about it be?

That is a complicated shape. The modern tab that doesn't detach is like an oval on the outside with two holes n it.

My first gambit would be to sketch out the the two inner holes with 4 point spline loops, then draw the outer spline around those, then add splines to span from CPs on the inner rings to CPs on the outer ring where they match up.
robcat2075
Or...

...spline out the tiny cross section of the ring and lathe it out to make a very flat donut, Stretch it out to approximate the large oval shape and then splice in a flat bit of tube in the middle to divide the inner hole into two.
robcat2075
The second method is the easier one.
LordPython
So ya, I'm having much trouble with this. I've tried your methods and a few others (like tracing the holes, then tracing the overall shape and trying to connect them. So I'm thinking, is it possible to just model the whole thing as one solid piece then either add CPs to break the patches in the center, OR set the texture to the center holes as "transparent"?
robcat2075
QUOTE(LordPython @ Feb 26 2012, 12:27 PM) *
is it possible to just model the whole thing as one solid piece then either add CPs to break the patches in the center, OR set the texture to the center holes as "transparent"?

Both are possible.

If you have center patches that you can set to transparent you're probably not far from having real holes
NancyGormezano
QUOTE(LordPython @ Feb 26 2012, 10:27 AM) *
So ya, I'm having much trouble with this. I've tried your methods and a few others (like tracing the holes, then tracing the overall shape and trying to connect them. So I'm thinking, is it possible to just model the whole thing as one solid piece then either add CPs to break the patches in the center, OR set the texture to the center holes as "transparent"?

Here is another way. I did this very quickly without looking at the tab shape - but I'm guessing that you will be able to reshape the holes, outer contours more accurately than I did.
NancyGormezano
And just in case you are having trouble with "copy flip attach" (everyone does), here are the steps for what I usually do (to make it simple for me), is to rotate the model in front view so that the center spline that you want the flip/attach to occur is sorta at x= 0 then

1) align the center spline so that it is exactly on 0. by using "show manipulators" and the scale manipulator, then 2) select all cps to flip, select part of center spline, right click, select CFA. 3) rerotate model back after the copy flip attach is done.
robcat2075
Here's a mostly lathing approach...

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=365878
itsjustme
Here's a possible modeling approach for the can opening.

Hope that helps.

LordPython
Again, another great tutorial Rob.

That looks really good David, I may skip the "open" decal (I was just going to stamp a black "hole" on the top), and just model and Open Top can.
LordPython
Ok, well I followed Rob's tutorial and was able to get the pull tab. Now I just need to add the bump map, and then texture and I'll be done smile.gif
Shelton
That looks good. nice solution David
Gerry
Nice solution! Would you post a wireframe of the pulltab? Just curious.
LordPython
The little circle on it is separate from the rest of the tab.
Gerry
Nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.