Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Penumbral shadows
Hash, Inc. Forums > Technical Direction and Development (Learning Animation:Master) > The Art of Animation:Master (TaoA:M) < New Users Start Here! > Calling all Pedagogs
Douglas Ferrin
Hi - in the am tech reference it says to turn on the “Options/Cast Shadows” under my klieg light settings but I can find no such option. I've made soft shadows but not for a couple of versions - could someone tell me what the trick is that I'm missing. Thanks.
robcat2075
Here are the settings in the shortcut's properties in the chor. You could also make these settings in the original light in the Objects folder.

Most important... set the width of the light to a larger value.

Click to view attachment

"Penumbra" only jitters the light about 9 positions which won't be enough for smooth penumbras with very large lights. Multipass allows more jitters for beter results.
Douglas Ferrin
Thanks very much Robcat - I didn't have the z-buffer switch set. I think that should do it.
robcat2075
If you increase the "softness" you can hide the stepping of the light (at the expense of a very sharp shadow at the base). Experimentation is always in order with lighting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.