Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: King Krewl Throne concept
Hash, Inc. Forums > Featured > Feature Films: Tin Woodman of Oz - Scarecrow of Oz > Scarecrow of Oz > SO:Modeling
digman
Hi all
I been working on a concept for King Krewl's throne, that I should be able to model. New to this patch modeling thing. Tell me what ya think of the basic design. Rococo ornate goop can be added through a normal map. Also I been working a fox head for the throne as a possible leg feature. My previous rough concepts in the texture forum, well they helped me to understand what would not work.
NancyGormezano
looks good !
digman
Ok, fox head added to the legs. I modeled the heads and then pasted them into the concept. Too large , just right, not the style, throw them away into the trash. LOL
NancyGormezano
QUOTE(digman @ Dec 18 2008, 06:52 PM) *
Ok, fox head added to the legs. I modeled the heads and then pasted them into the concept. Too large , just right, not the style, throw them away into the trash. LOL

I like it - Just enough weird evil goodness for Krewel. Good idea.
digman
I started to model. I will keep plugging off and on through the holidays. Everyone have a Merry Christmas. Here is a pic. of the front legs.
digman
Nancy, here's a close to finish throne. I left off any ornate stuff above the back of the throne. I thought that King Krewl's wild hair did a good job of adding drama and maybe the ornate stuff might distract from him. I can add an ornate top if you want. Tell me what ya like.....

1437 patches
No texture yet or uv maps.
just default lighting for the most part.

P.S. He needs a stool too.

Edit: I can add more real features to the throne vs Normal mapping them if you do not mind the increase patch count. I uploaded the work so far.
Edit2: I'm gonna go ahead and make some more added features for the throne plus for the top back too. smile.gif

("ole" hippies never die, they just trip away)
digman
Hi all, hope ya had a very Merry Christmas. I added some items to the throne.

Patch count, appox 2400

Trumpet flowers on the post,Knobs, buttons, fabric top for arms, raised out the back seat for more of a cushion look. I also think that small precious stone on the back spheres would look good and tongues for the fox heads. I included a picture with a sample of rococo features that can be normal mapped all over the golden areas of the throne. Seat curtains will have a heavy rococo embroidery look.

Need some feed back before continuing to add stuff or even if it's needed.How do you like the direction of the throne so far etc.....

edit: SVN updated.
NancyGormezano
The throne looks great ...

I am all for adding as much modeled detail, and fun nonsense as you'd like - In my opinion "Excess is never enough". Give it as much detail as you'd like. It's up to you (EDIT: but it has enough modeled detail as is, as the decaling will add plenty more)

I like the trumpet flowers - but perhaps you might want to angle them some (45 -90 degrees - facing more outward ?) so that their profile doesn't get lost in the back - and perhaps vary the sizing from top to bottom ? - ie make top ones largest, more and most exagerated, middle ones next biggest, bottom - the smallest? Again - it's up to you, and whatever looks best to you.

love the example of rococo detail

I also notice a couple of other things -

1) it is not necessary, nor desirable to upload the .hinfo files - just need to commit the .mdl files. Eventually should delete the hinfo file off the svn. - but don't worry about it
2) eventually - before decaling, it would be best to translate the throne up so that the bottom of the legs rest as close to possible to y=0. You can do that in modeling mode
3) its not necessary to add bones (eg COG) to the throne - unless you have something in mind to animate on the throne?

Goooooood stuff!
phatso
Maybe?....

Model toes and claws into the front feet. Not deep relief or terribly detailed, maybe just a normal map. Something that suggests fox paws.
digman
Nancy
1) it is not necessary, nor desirable to upload the .hinfo files - just need to commit the .mdl files. Eventually should delete the hinfo file off the svn. - but don't worry about it
2) eventually - before decaling, it would be best to translate the throne up so that the bottom of the legs rest as close to possible to y=0. You can do that in modeling mode
3) its not necessary to add bones (eg COG) to the throne - unless you have something in mind to animate on the throne?

Ok, only upload the mdl file in the future
Model now resting on y=0 plane
Not sure how I got that bone there but deleted it.

I have added some more detail and will rotate the trumpet flowers about 45 degrees, they do stand out much better.

Phato
Model toes and claws into the front feet. Not deep relief or terribly detailed, maybe just a normal map. Something that suggests fox paws.

I was thinking of horse hoves normal mapped in but I like the fox paws too, I will see what I can do on adding in some detail for that and see what it looks like.
digman
I thought this was a good place to end adding real details. If ya like it, I will start UV mapping, yikes, hair pulling time LOL. I have downloaded some good tuts on A.M. uv mapping. SVN has been updated. There are a few minor problems to fix, let me know whatever errors you find. I would have uv mapped each feature when I made it but wasn't sure if the feature was gonna be in the final throne or not(would have been better though). That means some more work for me. I will have some questions for sure on uv mapping.

I added a pic of King Krewl on a very generic platform but what self-respecting tyrant would not have one! Just plain A.M. 3 point lighting.
NancyGormezano
That is a FABULOUSLY looking ridiculous throne - perfect for mean ol' tacky tasteless nouveau riche Krewel - I absolutely love it - makes me laugh.

I took a look at the model file - ummm...lotsa nice tidy folders...but perhaps will make more work for you..3dpainter doesn't seem to handle folders. If you want to use 3dpainter - you will have to make groups outside of folders if you want to deal with some of the detail separately. Not a big deal.

There are lotsa ways to approach decaling this throne. I typically never use auto tiling as I like to experiment with different color schemes, textures, by swapping image files after having done the mapping. So I prefer to isolate groups. I will use 3dpainter to get a rough approximation of the texture - and then I like to be able to use other image editing programs (photoshop, painter) to refine the detail & thus have more control of the 2d textures.

I typically mix planar, cylindrical, spherical mapping types on a model on different parts. And I rely on the "over-loading" - order precedence in which A:M does decaling - ie the last decal, stamp applied to a surface takes precedence. I also rely on being able to modify the repeat count of any mapping. Makes for more separate image files - but gives most flexibility.

If you want to do that - I would suggest thinking top-down - eg- first decal all the gold framing (using whatever map methods fit) , decal the back (planar), seat (planar), curtains (planar) then isolate groups of elements outside the folders that you would want to deal with separately - eg make a group of all stones, all rings, all base stones - and decal the group separately.

EDIT: Don't forget to translate the throne so that the legs rest on the ground plane (y=0) before decaling
TheSpleen
very nice work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.