Dec 6 2008, 03:51 AM
All I need is to make a brick wall slowly start to tip and fall over. Like it was just at the tipping point or not balanced right and it starts to fall.
I've tried a bunch of things and I'm having a hard time getting the effect I want. I'd like to have it be subtle to start. I don't want anything abrupt like an object hitting it. I also would like it to sort of "curve" as it falls if you follow me. Like a wall that's too high and sort of wobbles and falls from a gentle bit of basic unsteadiness.
I have it now with the bottom row of bricks rotated so it kind of wobbles but I have to have a dramatic rotation or the wall sort of.... stays together and never falls. It wobbles back and forth. Also when it does fall I'd like it to fall in an irregular fashion, like starting from one corner in a wave.
If anyone can point me to the settings to experiment with or change, like density? Gravity? Elasticity?
I'm doing this in the chor using the brick plugin. Would it work better to build the wall in a single model?
Dec 7 2008, 12:17 AM
Howdy. Me again.
Really stumped on this one. I switched to a brick wall all in one model so I could decal the wall and also use the "freeze" property. For the life of me I can't figure this out. I just can't tip the darn thing over. It just won't fall over. I tried rotating the model bone slightly so it was tilted before the simulation starts... but then it just rights itself and nothing happens. I then slammed a big rolling ball into it and the ball punched out a few bricks on the bottom row... went through the other side... but the dang wall stays up! Currently I am trying out using a cylinder under the wall so it starts to tip over to one side... so far no go. Do the individual bones in the wall model for each brick need to be facing front? Or whatever?
<sigh> The chor brick wall using the brick plug in worked the best so far... but I know this can be done, I've seen samples here using models of brick walls with characters smashing through them. Any help appreciated.
Dec 7 2008, 02:15 AM
Well... I'm about to give up. Spent nearly 16 hours fiddling with every setting, Explode_xxxx groups.... Newton_xxxx groups... can't figure it out... I read all of the instructions more carefully. Looked at some sample files. Can't honestly figure out what I'm doing wrong. I use to be pretty good figuring this stuff out.
I have a wall model with Explode_ bones and Explode_ groups. I set the model to be a Dynamic Explode/Breakable object. I put it in the chor. It should fall onto a static cylinder and tip over breaking against other objects. So far the only result is that all the bricks will only slide sideways and they just penetrate each other. The individual bricks in the model are not reacting to each other at all.
Also when setting the object property to Dynamic Explode/Breakable this won't "stick" after saving and reopening it switches back to just dynamic object.
Do I need Newton_ groups AND Explode_ groups? does the direction of the Explode_ bone have any effect?
Anyway... putting this on hold. Hours and hours and hours with zero results isn't encouraging. I will try again if I can get some more input.
Dec 7 2008, 03:53 AM
To quote Emily Litella...
"Never mind."Click to view attachment
It doesn't look exciting yet... this is just the test to get the wall to fall.
p.s. I still don't know exactly which combination of things caused my trouble. I think it might have been the direction of the brick bones. They were pointing to the right in my first tests. I ended up using the wall in the Troll project chor and exporting that as a model and using a text editor and regex to rename all the groups and bones. Worked like a charm. It was however nearly 100% identical to the other model. I think it was the direction of the bone... uh... or it could have been a few misnamed bone/group combinations or some other user error... I'm so sleepy... but very happy!
Dec 7 2008, 05:48 AM
Ahh all that work and you knock the dam thing over ,nice one Vern glad you got it sorted
Dec 7 2008, 06:11 AM
Dec 7 2008, 11:40 AM
For such problems , I need always the projectfile (in general for all my plguins) .
Than I can say , what is false with the project.
Mostly it's a very simply understanding problem. resulting from my bad (english) descriptions for the plugins ....
Dec 7 2008, 12:28 PM
No problem Steffen. Considering how well it finally worked I am 99% sure it was completely user error on my part.
The problem with the "Dynamic Explode/Breakable object" property changing back to dynamic object went away with the new version of the wall. I think there WAS a bad matching set of bones/groups that was causing this. When you have over 100 of those suckers it's easy to miss one.
These "trials by fire" are always a good way to learn something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here