Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parade shot lighting tests
Hash, Inc. Forums > Featured > Feature Films: Tin Woodman of Oz - Scarecrow of Oz > Tin Woodman of Oz > TWO Lighting
robcat2075
lighting test frames. In cross-eye 3D. They look much more 3D if you click on them to see them big.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My computer doesn't have enough memory to render a frame from the whole chor so these shots are really composites of three passes:

the characters:
Click to view attachment

their shadows:
Click to view attachment

and the background:
Click to view attachment
KenH
Looks great! That's the sensible way to do rendering. smile.gif How'd you get the shadows by themselves?

Edit: I like the UR-GONE!
mtpeak2
Unfortunately I can't view these cross-eyed, it looks good though.
Rodney
I could see that UR Gone for just a moment so I'll try to return to view the others too. My head hurts enough with my current cold so best not to press my luck now.

Your example of compositing is a great one. Your usage is bourne out of necessity but I'd sure love to see more of that.

Edit: Couldn't resist going back an trying to see Tin Servant in 3D... almost... almost got it.

robcat2075
quickrendered movie version posted here

QUOTE(KenH @ Oct 12 2008, 04:16 PM) *
How'd you get the shadows by themselves?

Winkie village OFF

Default ground ON and set to shadows only. The rendered image is completely black but with an alpha channel that masks out all but the shadows.
Rodney
Robert's demonstration of Stereoscopy and Rendered Layers in PDF format:

HomeSlice
Those look wonderful Robcat. The fog seems perfect .. at least I think you have fog in there. The linked images are too small to see for sure if you have depth of field active, but it seems like I can see a little blurring in the background, which is a nice touch.
The scene might pop out a bit more if you decrease the overall ambiance (or decrease the intensity of the sun light), put a soft spot light on the house cluster and one or more soft spot lights on the band members, and give the Tin Servant a brighter spot light all to himself via a light list.
That's going to be a great animation.
Rodney
Sorry Holmes. I had posted a notice that this was an old topic referred to recently again but decided to remove it at the last moment. Robert hasn't worked on this shot for quite awile now. He posted these cool pics back in Oct 08.

The compositing aspect of it (rendering shadows separately etc.) was referred to in the recent post.
robcat2075
QUOTE(Rodney @ May 24 2009, 07:35 AM) *
Sorry Holmes.

Well, thanks none-the-less, Holmes!

Slight fog, yes, mostly to get the "mountains" to look farther away and bigger.
DOF, no

It does look a bit flattish. I was thinking some of the lighting in other scenes of TWO was a bit intense, so I may have gone too far in the other direction here.

It's all mothballed now, but if I ever get my enthusiasm back i'll finish the few remaining shots and piece this "deleted scene" together.
PF_Mark
QUOTE(robcat2075 @ May 24 2009, 02:16 PM) *
It's all mothballed now, but if I ever get my enthusiasm back i'll finish the few remaining shots and piece this "deleted scene" together.

If and when you do be sure to ask for my help! smile.gif That sounds like a worth while Project!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.