Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paprazzi lighter needed
Hash, Inc. Forums > Featured > Feature Films: Tin Woodman of Oz - Scarecrow of Oz > Tin Woodman of Oz > TWO Lighting
robcat2075
I'm looking for someone who'd like to go thru scene 2_01_66 and light the shots in it to look like newspaper reporter flash photographs rather than the beautiful renders we have in the rest of TWO.

They'll be used in the newspaper front page you can see being assembled here.
MattWBradbury
Have you tried putting a light slightly above the camera? A really bright bulb light and about half exposure on the image should get you something that looks mostly like a photographer's image. The light would have to cast shadows.
robcat2075
QUOTE(MattWBradbury @ Jan 8 2008, 01:54 AM) *
Have you tried putting a light slightly above the camera? A really bright bulb light and about half exposure on the image should get you something that looks mostly like a photographer's image. The light would have to cast shadows.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I could do that in a day. But there are too many tasks for TWO that I could spend a day on that I need to get done for me to ever get them all done myself.

I need someone to actually go thru each shot and do it. Hint, hint... With your eye for lighting I know it would turn out great!
MattWBradbury
Is there a way to just download those models, images, choreographies, and actions from the TWO vault? I no longer have the massive archive because of a hard drive malfunction, and I never got around to redownloading it.
robcat2075
QUOTE(MattWBradbury @ Jan 8 2008, 09:28 PM) *
Is there a way to just download those models, images, choreographies, and actions from the TWO vault? I no longer have the massive archive because of a hard drive malfunction, and I never got around to redownloading it.

Martin could probably direct you to the Hash elf who could answer that. But it only takes four days to download the entire archive... is that a problem?
MattWBradbury
4 days?! The project file on looks like it would be around 100 MB or so. I'll have to set up the SVN client again.
robcat2075
QUOTE(MattWBradbury @ Jan 9 2008, 01:28 AM) *
4 days?!

Just kidding. I had to reload the whole archive once about 9 months ago and it was something more than 12 hours on my connection.

I suppose the required elements would be the Tincastle set, Tinman, Woot, Scarecrow, the Generic Winkie, and scenes 65, 66, 68

But it's hard to know until you try to load a chor and find A:M looking for something you haven't grabbed yet.

I put in a feature request for just-in-time downloading based on what a project needed.
MattWBradbury
All right. I've started the download. Do you know which sequences these are and which frame each of these are at?
robcat2075
2_01_65FlashposeAt0817.cho (just need the frame at 08:17. make sure your PRJ is set to 24fps)
2_01_66.cho (scrub thru it and you'll see it is about 6 held scenes. All except one where Scarecrow is holding his nose)
2_01_68.cho (frame at 04:04)

thanks!
MattWBradbury
What resolution will you need this at? I understand that you'll be doing pans over the newspaper in wide screen, but the resolution wasn't stated explicitly.

Oh man... why are you guys using the .wav audio format. I know it's lossless, but there are some really good mac/pc formats that have very good compression rates as well as great quality.
robcat2075
QUOTE(MattWBradbury @ Jan 11 2008, 12:16 AM) *
What resolution will you need this at? I understand that you'll be doing pans over the newspaper in wide screen, but the resolution wasn't stated explicitly.

we just need it lit. you can do test renders at any res useful to you. post them here. The Winkies may get their colors changed so you won't be able to do a final render yet.

MattWBradbury
Do you want a stylized shadow (having it a bit higher than it is on the real camera) or right where the light is in real life (gives a fainter impression that it is a flash photograph).

480 MB downloaded already.
robcat2075
Show me both on one shot and lets see what they look like. smile.gif
MattWBradbury
Well, doesn't look like I'll be able to do that anyway right now. SVN hit a snag on some obscure file and won't allow me to unlock the file to clean it up and start downloading past it. The file is the one of the brick materials, the sixth one I believe. Here's the error report.

Click to view attachment

I'm going to kill the material file, do the cleanup, and then start downloading again.

------
Didn't work. Any ideas?

Click to view attachment

------
Cleaned up the Marlin Studios folder and started it up again. It's running right now. I don't think I'll run this when I'm sleeping because I know it's going to get caught again.
higginsdj
Try deleting that files folder and then Update that folders parent folder again.

Cheers
MattWBradbury
Okay, I have 13.9 GB downloaded so far. I'll get back to this after I get back from Race and Racism.

Had to kill 5 GB just now (all of Act 2). No fun. I wish SVN had some more options for fixing problems.

-----

Okay, well, no idea what to do now. There's a problem with the Data folder. I'm not going to delete that as it would start the whole process over again.
robcat2075
thanks for being persistent!

Had to kill 5 GB just now (all of Act 2). No fun. I wish SVN had some more options for fixing problems.

The scenes you need are in act 2 ohmy.gif

higginsdj
Strickly speaking you only needed 'Shared Data' and the specific folders within Act 2 and you could have got just these through the SVN repository functionality within AM (SVN Options tab) and the Community View link! Would have only set you back a little over 3Gb.

Cheers
robcat2075
QUOTE(higginsdj @ Jan 11 2008, 04:41 PM) *
Strickly speaking you only needed 'Shared Data' and the specific folders within Act 2 and you could have got just these through the SVN repository functionality within AM (SVN Options tab) and the Community View link! Would have only set you back a little over 3Gb.

If you can identify the exact steps for Matt to do that that would be great, David.

I'm sure there must be a way to download only certain portions of the SVN, but when I've asked about this in the past no one offered any answers.
higginsdj
Resource has been there a long time - Will did a lot of work putting it together....

http://wiki.hash.com/index.php/Svn_Walkthrough

Cheers
MattWBradbury
I had forgotten that method and went with one I was familiar with when I used SVN for a modding community where I would download everything (because everyone needed every file to run the mods). I used the Repository when I was working on TWO last year, so as soon as I saw it I was instantly acquainted with it.

If anyone is still wondering, you just click the Repository button and then check the things you want to download.

Click to view attachment

------
Well at least it used to work that way. This is very strange. Could it be doing this because I have multiple versions of A:M instilled? I've set each one to download the same thing, but it still downloads everything; I have no idea why it starts with music either. I'm checking out the Shared folder by itself.

-----
This seems like a haphazard way of downloading the SVN. I know this worked before because I used to do this often. Anyway, there are a few things missing like the "Press Badge.jpg" "instSoftLeather.mat" and the "Press Badge.mdl" from the shared files or the sequences that use those prop's folders.
higginsdj
Weird. After losing the main repository mysleft I use this method in both Windows and OSX versions of AM (but create the fodlers with the Windows version first since I have problems with the OSX version creating folders - gets the files OK - just doesn't play nice when new folders are required) I've done this in OSX, Parallels version of Windows and 2 separate PC installs of Windows (then I just chose to have a single LAN drive to support all machines - DOH - took me a whiel to work that one out blink.gif )

Cheers
robcat2075
QUOTE(MattWBradbury @ Jan 11 2008, 08:09 PM) *
Anyway, there are a few things missing like the "Press Badge.jpg" "instSoftLeather.mat" and the "Press Badge.mdl" from the shared files or the sequences that use those prop's folders.

I think those are inthe Sc64 folder
MattWBradbury
Even if I work on the Choreographies and modify them, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to commit them because the SVN Checkout now has a different root folder than everyone else.
higginsdj
Try it. If it fails I know Martin or Will have the ability to insert files into the repository. Eles you can post it for someone else to insert as a new file (ie rename it ....1 etc)

Cheers
robcat2075
Go ahead and do the lighting thing, and post your test images here, and once we get that nailed down we'll figure out how to get the chors where they need to be.

thanks!
MattWBradbury
What time of day will the photograph be taken at? Before dusk, the sun is stronger than the flash on the cameras so you'd still see the background. Are you guys looking for something like a night shot where all you can see is about 100 feet, then the flash light has a falloff for that range?
robcat2075
QUOTE(MattWBradbury @ Jan 13 2008, 12:11 PM) *
What time of day will the photograph be taken at? Before dusk, the sun is stronger than the flash on the cameras so you'd still see the background. Are you guys looking for something like a night shot where all you can see is about 100 feet, then the flash light has a falloff for that range?

"Off at dawn, the bridge is drawn"

Do one. Post it. Let's see what it looks like. We'll refine it from there.
MattWBradbury
lol, oh man. I need to get more RAM. My system goes crazy when I start editing things. Would it be doable to create a new sequence with only necessary props, actions, models, textures, and stuff like that in it?
robcat2075
QUOTE(MattWBradbury @ Jan 16 2008, 12:42 AM) *
lol, oh man. I need to get more RAM. My system goes crazy when I start editing things. Would it be doable to create a new sequence with only necessary props, actions, models, textures, and stuff like that in it?

Goes crazy? what exactly?

I wont' have time to redo those scenes myself. Try turning off show decals.
robcat2075
Matt, are you still on this one?
MattWBradbury
I think I would have an easier time adjusting the rendered frames in photoshop. I'm starting on SO with the Cave systems, so If you or someone else can render out those frames with all of the content downloaded for the sequences I can make them look exactly like a newspaper shot. I'll manually add in course shadows, and create a fog density layer to simulate a drop in exposure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.