Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The parade set
Hash, Inc. Forums > Featured > Feature Films: Tin Woodman of Oz - Scarecrow of Oz > Tin Woodman of Oz > TWO Modeling > TWO Sets
robcat2075
Here are the details on what is needed and not needed in the set for the last half of "We're Off We're Gone".

http://www.hash.com/two/RCHolmen/paradesetPitchMP4.mov

Update your Sets_Chors folder to get the current version of TemporaryRoad.mdl mentioned in the vid.

Don't everyone jump on this at once! Martin will assign someone.
higginsdj
I'll stick my hand up assuming someone has some design thoughts.

Cheers
higginsdj
The Winki Village set (need to change the position of some trees so I will create a new set based on the Winkie set) seems to fit the bill. Long straight road segment BUT the road has undulations. Is this going to be an issue? I rekon a view of the band coming over the stoen bridge would be good if it's not an issue. I'll attach a couple of shots (less forground trees).

PS - This is a modified version of the Winkie Village saved locally - I have not modified the original

Cheers
NancyGormezano
Apart from the road undulating - which I believe Robert mentioned something about being a problem, ie the road needs to be flat to easily match the foot plants in the march cyles, my guess is that the bridge & winkie set is too recognizable from the first scenes when Woot is leaving Winkie Village.

You might also look at the deep cut set, even tho it's been used too much. It has flat terrain on the ends of its road which could easily be extended and the sides of the flat road could then be populated with already existing low patch modeled hills & terrains from a variety of sets.For the far distance, one might be able to use images plastered on a dome (or cylindrical surrounds)
mtpeak2
Your safest bet is to take the temporary road and modify it (extrude the sides, add more cps in the middle and shape the new extrude part), texture it and that will serve as you base ground plane (save as new model). The set then can be swapped out in the chor with no problems. Then populate the set with an assembly action using any of the props on the svn. I would try to keep the set at a minimum, you have at least 60 band members and there is going to be spectators too.

Also, only populate the areas that will be seen through the camera.
mtpeak2
Here's something I just through together in a couple of hours.

If you want to use the modified props I used, I'll upload them to svn.
NancyGormezano
looks terrific to me.
higginsdj
Actually, Robert said their couldn't be any curves in the road rather than undulations. The undulations wouldn't impact the march cycle and all that we need do is to attach the band columns to splines as a path and they would automatically follow the contour of the road - but the bridge might be too steep and require hand animating the band members to keep them vertical.

I like Marks modified set.

Cheers
mtpeak2
I believe he did David, it was one of the first things he says not to do. Curves in the the road will screw up the timing of the march cycle. He setup a temporary road as a template to go by to build the set around.
higginsdj
Mark can you save your version of the set in SVN please (WinkiParadeSet or something similar please) Did you want to continue working on it with Robert or are you happy for us to tweak it?

Cheers
mtpeak2
I'll upload something tomorrow, I have to get ready to go out now. I'll setup a chor and the start of a couple of assembly actions for props. Do you want the lighting as well? This is the rig I've been using, minus the hair trees, which is not on the svn. It's also the skydome and mountain background.

higginsdj
Yes please.

Cheers
higginsdj
Hi Mark,

Don't do anything just yet. Robert requires the road to be perfectly flat as well as no curves. I'll try to build a new set myself.

Cheers
robcat2075
Click to view attachment

This is a great look! It looks like the marching area is flat and straight or is close enough to be adjusted to be that way. Is there about 100 meters of main street like that, and with enough variety of the buildings that it won't look like we're going past the same one in each shot?
higginsdj
I've taken the existing set and flattened and straightened the road as well as the bridge (saved new versions of all the parts and the actions) so there should be plenty of straight road now. It'll still need some tweaking though. Mark I'll SVN the parts if you want to put it together and tweak it better than I could manage.

Cheers
mtpeak2
This is flat, it's a modified temporary road. I modified the temp road by extruding the sides, then textured, just like I suggested to you.

After telling you it needed to be straight, why would I use something that's not. This is not the winkie ground plane.

You know, you can deal with it any way you want, I'm not getting involved with this anymore.
higginsdj
Sorry Mark, I totally missed that particular post. You're the experience set builder, not me, so I gladly bow to experience. Please don't exit based on my bull in a china shop approach.....

Cheers
Jeetman
Mark,

That camera shot is fantastic!!!! I love how you get the feeling of passing right through the town.

David, do your best to get this look if you can.

Outstanding work!!!!

George
higginsdj
OK, I've finished the first cut of the parade set. Wow this stuff is fiddly. Major point - there is no finished decal on the ground. There is a decal, just a plan/flat coloured one. Anyone feel artistic enough to produce a good decal?

The following is a link to a quick render of the set:
http://project.hash.com:8008/movie/svn/act...arade%20set.mov

(8mb QT)

I think the set will be too 'heavy' to render out with the full parade band chor so it may need a few passes! But the experts can decide on that. Everything has been committed and the set project is a separate project in the 2_01_80 folder.

Cheers
robcat2075
Hi David, that looks good. Here are some notes...

paradestcommenst01-0001.mov

thanks!
higginsdj
Started work but soem of this Acion object stuff is just painful. I appear to not be able to move the base bone of any particular chor action without moving the base bone of every chor object and the fence is too painful to redo - so I'm trying to convert it to a model. Well AM timed out after 1 hour so I have broken the fence action down into components and that appears to be working - I'll just recombine the bits after conversion then I can move the fence etc where-ever I like!

Cheers
higginsdj
OK, I've commited a new version of the Parade Set and a new set flyby movie (same link as before). I've moved stuff around and cleared both ends of the road of trees but have not built the rolling hills or the Castle inset as yet. I enabled hair to allow you to see the effect of the forground trees (good to break up the angular edges of the buildings I think.)

Still have to decal the ground (and yes, the road and all that dark green area is perfectly flat.)

Cheers
higginsdj
Yet another version has gone up. This one is almost done. Just needs the tin castle and the distant road/path painted on the hills. I might leave these for someone with a little more experience than myself!

http://project.hash.com:8008/movie/svn/act...arade%20set.mov
(just under 11mb)

Some full renders to mull over..... Good job I turned shadows on - everythign was hovering above the ground. (I'm no set lighter either)

Cheers
robcat2075
That looks real good. My only initial thought is that some of the houses are very close to the road. It's like they have no front yard. Move them back a little? Or just some of them for variety?

New task that would be very helpful... remember the Temporary road model? Could you edit that to add an outline on the ground of the foundation (where the walls are) of the buildings and the fence? they only need to be single spline loops visible in wireframe mode, they don't need to render as patches.

If we had that it would dramatically simplify the task of adding bystander winkies in the parade shots.

thanks!
higginsdj
Well first off you need to replace Temporary road with Parade Ground.mdl. The Temp Raod model just had the road and nothing else. I've moved most of the buildings back (random amounts)

What I have done is generate a decal (to be deleted before final render), that gives the placement information of all objects on the ground with the original temporary road painted in. All committed now.

Cheers
robcat2075
QUOTE(higginsdj @ Jan 13 2008, 05:17 AM) *
Well first off you need to replace Temporary road with Parade Ground.mdl. The Temp Raod model just had the road and nothing else.
I know it just has the road. I built it. A spline outline of a building can still be added to the side of it.

higginsdj
Yes, but that is considerably more work than just switching the temp road model for the new Parade Ground model (parade ground is just an extension of the temp road model and the flat base of the Parade Set Chor)

Edit - OR just load the Parade Ground model and place it on the chor directly under the temp road model - the road parts in each can be lined up if there is a reason the temp road cannot be removed.

Cheers
robcat2075
full speed ahead then
PF_Mark
David can you please help me find out what is going wrong whe I final render this. I have added some things and moved something into this chr and when I Q shift render I see the road but when I render to file as final I have this square that is cover the road?
PF_Mark
OK I found 2 plan images on Parade_ground model and when I delet those I get the grass back into the set during final render so it is fixed biggrin.gif I will post test lighting images here soon
PF_Mark
ok 3 of 6 groups of winkies
robcat2075
That's getting to be a fierce looking mob.

I'll lhave to think about the lighting some more.

PF_Mark
QUOTE(robcat2075 @ Jul 30 2008, 12:56 AM) *
That's getting to be a fierce looking mob.

I'll lhave to think about the lighting some more.

when we made these taragas I started out with a fill intensity of 65% you had me turn it down because it was too bright when we looked at targa outside of this chr. I loaded those and once in the chr they looked totally blacked out so I went ahead on my own and redid them to Fill of 65% so what ever we paly with we need to place it in this chr and render it out to see what it fianlly going to look like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.