Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renderers Wanted!
Hash, Inc. Forums > Featured > Feature Films: Tin Woodman of Oz - Scarecrow of Oz > Tin Woodman of Oz > TWO Lighting
martin
Okay, folks, we have a movie to finish, and tens of thousands of frames to render (multiple times). Please volunteer to render frames at night on your own computer at home. I'll assign a scene to you and you'll simple start A:M going on it before you go to bed. You'll get some frames done every night which you'll SVN back to me in the morning, repeat for the next frames in the scene the next night, etc.

Let me know!
agep
Hi Martin. I have 2 computers with netrender that I can feed some frames to. The computers are available most of the time
thekamps
I have a couple computers too (by no means workhorses - they're old) but feel free to send a scene my way.
jzawacki
Count me in as well. I can't help make the movie, but I can at least donate some processor time to it.
youngman
Hello Martin,
I would certainly like to help out by donating my spare processor time.

Jay

steve392
My pc is idle at night , so at your disposal,not on vsn though as yet
martin
Get the TWO data on your computer (using SVN) and V14/15
Caroline
For someone who has most of SVN already, and not unlimited bandwidth, are these the only SVN updates needed to render properly?

1) The folder with the project and chor itself.
2) Shared Data folder

Are any Libraries / Music etc folders needed?

KenH
I'll do it if/when I get my new computer. This thing isn't up to it.

Caroline....shared folder should be enough. Keep it updated before rendering though. You might need music if you're doing a song.....but the majority should have the sounds in the projects.
martin
You don't need the music for final renders.
ptiversen
QUOTE(martin @ Oct 15 2007, 03:44 AM) *
Okay, folks, we have a movie to finish, and tens of thousands of frames to render (multiple times). Please volunteer to render frames at night on your own computer at home. I'll assign a scene to you and you'll simple start A:M going on it before you go to bed. You'll get some frames done every night which you'll SVN back to me in the morning, repeat for the next frames in the scene the next night, etc.

Let me know!

I can do that....

Tony Iversen
So California
NancyGormezano
I'll give it a shot. I'd like to render Yoop's song if possible, along with whatever else you dole out. Rendering to tga's I assume?

I'm also assuming my computer doesn't need to sleep too. I hope it won't blow up from heat exhaustion.
rojon
Hi Martin
I would like to volunteer my computer for rendering as well. will get SVN .

Rod
Kamikaze
I have a puter at the house that I can use, I will have to install Am on it and SVN still. Guessing all render settings are in the projects downloaded.
Ill work on what I need installed tommorrow. SO its ready if and when needed........
pwaslen
I just have a laptop at this time, but we are to get our desktop back next week and we will be getting a new computer in a month or so, so I can do some rendering. My SVN is pretty much up to dat (at least it will be by the end of tonight) , so let me know what you need done.

Paula
jzawacki
Martin, I don't know much about netrender, but it looks like keeping track of who is rendingering what is going to be a full time job.

Any possibilities of creating a somewhat small client that only uses idle cycles that givers you guys full render control of our machines? We did something like this in the Nintendo DS homebrew scene when breaking the encryption of the commercial game carts. A sole coder created a small client, we would sign up on his site (just for tracking statistics) and download the client. During idle cycles it would crunch numbers. On his site, it would keep track of the name (in the .ini file) of the top 10 or 20 number crunchers... so it became a little contest of hourse power.

If it would be possible to do something like this without requireing a licensed version of A:M, you might find thousands of extra idle CPUs for the project, as there seem to be a lot of people like me with multiple idle machines at home. Add bragging rights on a top 10/20 list and you'll get people with access to computer labs and farms.
martin
Our programmers are stretched beyond capacity to do anything else. We can't keep up as it is and working for free takes a certain kind of personality that is rare in the world. (I got up at 3 am just to get enough assignments ready for today.) We've often talked about a SETI type rendering client though.
c-wheeler
Hi Martin
I would like to volunteer my computers for rendering as well

Chris
johnl3d
Right now my harddrive is running out of space as I scan and repair about 200+ photos for my wife's family to put on a dvd some are from the 1930's and older, after that project I should have room and time.

Here is a index print for id table

Click to view attachment
Tralfaz
I can use my home computer for rendering. It may not be available every night though, as my son uses it sometimes for downloading games and stuff.

Can someone point me in the right direction for setting up SVN properly? Do I need an account set up for me, etc.?

I would really like to be able to help in the TWO project somehow, even if it is just rendering.

Thanks...
Al
PF_Mark
I can run renders for 48 hours none stop while I am at my cottage so count me in! My Svn is completly up to date and I just need to know what you need rendered before 3.00pm fridays before I leave for cottage.
PF_Mark
QUOTE(Tralfaz @ Oct 16 2007, 12:11 PM) *
I can use my home computer for rendering. It may not be available every night though, as my son uses it sometimes for downloading games and stuff.

Can someone point me in the right direction for setting up SVN properly? Do I need an account set up for me, etc.?

I would really like to be able to help in the TWO project somehow, even if it is just rendering.

Thanks...
Al

start here

http://wiki.hash.com/index.php/Dot_Project

you need to get dot project access to get SVN access then once you go through this stuff you will have an option to download everything or just parts. If you download just parts you need about 6 GB for the shared folders dir which has everything like models and sets then you can just download the scenes Martin asks you to render and you shoud be ready to go! If you want the entire thing better check you have 20 GB free first!

martin
Hey! We've go 11 people already rendering scenes and few others getting set up.

Who else?
ptiversen
OK, I have copied and email the contract, installed SVN and uploaded the data via SVN, checked my email and no reply yet and I am logged into Dotproject awaiting instructions.
Tralfaz
Well, I have access to Dot Project, asked for my level to be raised, installed SVN and am awaiting an email regarding my password. Oh, yeah, I also sent the contract to Martin a little while ago. I am currently downloading the TWO project from SVN. The download has been running around 3.5 hours and have downloaded around 320 MBytes. Hopefully, if the speed continues as is, the download should be done sometime tomorrow night or early Friday morning.

This is my first involvement with TWO and have a couple of questions regarding the rendering process. I don't want to mess things up...

1) If these have already been answered, or if there is a FAQ about it, could you please point me in the right direction?

2) Are the rendering settings already set up in each project that gets downloaded? I have been following along with Martin's "Ongoing Renders" thread, and it looks like some have DOF on, others have DOF off. BTW, the renders shown are pretty amazing, this is going to be a great final product.

3) Just to be sure, these are the final renders that are taking place?

4) How exactly do tasks get assigned and how does one get notified about it?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions, but this is pretty new to me.

Thanks in advance...
Al

[Edit]

The download has finished at 2605.31 MBytes transferred. I guess I am all set now and am awaiting my first task.

[/Edit]
Caroline
Hi, Tralfaz, seeing no-one has answered you yet, I'll try....

QUOTE(Tralfaz @ Oct 18 2007, 10:14 AM) *
I don't want to mess things up...

I was worried about that to start with, but I don't think you can - with SVN there's backups and backups. And with just renders, you definitely can't, because you won't be saving back to SVN.

1) If these have already been answered, or if there is a FAQ about it, could you please point me in the right direction?

I think you just ask here - I never found a useful FAQ.

2) Are the rendering settings already set up in each project that gets downloaded? I have been following along with Martin's "Ongoing Renders" thread, and it looks like some have DOF on, others have DOF off.

I don't know enough to mess with settings, so I have just taken what's there. The only things I have changed is the folder the tgas are rendered to, and the frame range, so I can use two computers.

3) Just to be sure, these are the final renders that are taking place?

Is there such a thing as a final final render?

4) How exactly do tasks get assigned and how does one get notified about it?

Martin emails.

the renders shown are pretty amazing, this is going to be a great final product

It's so cool seeing the scenes freshly produced!
youngman
I'm ready to go,
All passwords and access set,svn dowloaded,dotProject walkthrough read so many times i think my brain has died on me (i just know i'll be asking some stupid questions for the first few times).

Jay

Ullis
I can give it a try too,
Ulrika
Tralfaz
Thanks for your reply Caroline.

I have everything set up, but am still waiting to hear anything via e-mail or messages regarding any tasks to start on.

Waiting patiently....

Al
youngman
I have v14c installed and the svn updated,just waiting for an e:mail to get started.

Jay

martin
Anybody who needs another render job, send me an email... I'll have a bunch more assignments tomorrow.
martin
Assignments are all out - if you didn't get one, email me.
Shelton
I will send a couple of pictures up. 2_10_11 Mrs Yoops hair is messed up. I can not upload to the forum. I left pm to Will to see if he could help

Steve

Kamikaze
Think I read where one really needs 2gb ram to render smoothly, so Im on hold....
Tom Rennen
Hey Martin... seems like the only way to get to you is on the forum! You don't call, you don't write... hahaha! I have 4 PC's. I will do what I can to assist with the rendering. I can also offer post services if you need it. Audio, video (1 Terrabyte of storage), editing and compositing, etc. The work you guys are doing on TWO looks AMAZING!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.