Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Generic Band Member
Hash, Inc. Forums > Featured > Feature Films: Tin Woodman of Oz - Scarecrow of Oz > Tin Woodman of Oz > TWO Texturing
robcat2075
Here's the info on texturing the generic band uniform:

-this is to be on the WinkieGenericAdult model

-I think it will be possible to texture him to look like he has a short-waisted jacket on like in the far left picture in post #10 in the modeling thread.

-It's sort of a dress military look, but maybe an OZ theme can inform it. It does need to look like a band uniform, however.

-The texture needs to look correct (not torn, not distorted) when the winkie has the "Waist trimmer" pose slider set to -25%. That gives him a trim military figure. If you ask them, maybe one of the expert texturers can give some tips on how to decal a model with other than the default mesh.

-the surface colors onthe winkie now are arbitrary, not intended as a reference for the band uniform.

-consider making bump maps to bring out details like buttons, flaps of cloth, sashes, etc...
Kelley
Here's a first rough cut at a uniform....
robcat2075
QUOTE(Kelley @ Oct 2 2007, 08:02 PM) *
Here's a first rough cut at a uniform....

That looks real sharp!

He seems to have quite a bit hanging over the front, though. How are you altering the mesh?
Kelley
How are you altering the mesh?

Without adding any CP's, I pulled up the collar and expanded the end of each arm to form a cuff. I selected two spline rings around the waist and moved them up so the jacket overhung the pants. And flared the jacket a bit.

What's next? {Assuming this is allright]

robcat2075
QUOTE(Kelley @ Oct 2 2007, 11:19 PM) *
How are you altering the mesh?

Without adding any CP's, I pulled up the collar and expanded the end of each arm to form a cuff. I selected two spline rings around the waist and moved them up so the jacket overhung the pants. And flared the jacket a bit.

but did you do that in the model or in a pose?

It can't be in the model because this winkie is also being used in crowds without the band uniform on.
Paul Forwood
Just save it with a different name. The poses and actions will still work.
Kelley
QUOTE(Paul Forwood @ Oct 3 2007, 01:02 AM) *
Just save it with a different name. The poses and actions will still work.

Yeah, it was in the model. 'Hope all is well.
robcat2075
Danger, go back! The model needs to keep the original mesh without changes, because it needs to be used for other things besides the Band member. Creating multiple versions of the Generic Winkie will create complications down the line; for example if we find later that some part of the rig needs fixing we'll need to fix it in each variant version of the Winkie rather than in one master version.

The thing to do is not to to alter the mesh in the model window but to make a new "pose" and alter the mesh there. That will be something that can be turned off when we use this model for other characters.
Kelley
QUOTE(robcat2075 @ Oct 3 2007, 09:37 AM) *
Danger, go back!

OK. Got it! Returning to Square One.
Kelley
I have the Winkie re-made with a Pose Slider. I applied the decals in the 100% position. When the slider is shifted back to 0%, the uniform reverts to normal, but the decals remain. Should they go away too?

robcat2075
QUOTE(Kelley @ Oct 4 2007, 03:30 PM) *
I have the Winkie re-made with a Pose Slider. I applied the decals in the 100% position. When the slider is shifted back to 0%, the uniform reverts to normal, but the decals remain. Should they go away too?

There is a way to make a slider control the visibility of a decal, but I'll worry about that detail.

The uniform looks great. Can you make a layer of bump maps to add some relief to the decorations?
Kelley
The uniform looks great. Can you make a layer of bump maps to add some relief to the decorations?

No problem. Will have it done by morning.
Kelley
Winkie w/ bump. There's a new b/w bump map for the chest braid and sleeve stripes. But the trouser stripe I just pulled another copy down from Images since it was a light gold color over a dark green, and changed its type to 'bump'. Everything is set to 444%. The chest braid seems to benefit most. It's hard to see how much the trouser really bumps up.
robcat2075
QUOTE(Kelley @ Oct 5 2007, 12:58 PM) *
Winkie w/ bump. There's a new b/w bump map for the chest braid and sleeve stripes. But the trouser stripe I just pulled another copy down from Images since it was a light gold color over a dark green, and changed its type to 'bump'. Everything is set to 444%. The chest braid seems to benefit most. It's hard to see how much the trouser really bumps up.

Are the highlights on the buttons and such painted on? OR are those gleams intended as something other than highlights?

Normally you'd leave that for the "bumpiness" of the model to create as the lights bounce off it.

Kelley
The highlights are painted on [since there's no 'real' geometry under there. Shall I delete them?
robcat2075
QUOTE(Kelley @ Oct 5 2007, 11:55 PM) *
The highlights are painted on [since there's no 'real' geometry under there. Shall I delete them?

swap in an alternate version (i believe that's done in the properties window) without the highlights and let see what it looks like.
Kelley
Here's two pics. One with the painted highlights removed, just the bump map [couldn't find anything in Properties to do an 'alternate' version] and then a second with a Specular Map added [at 2222%]
robcat2075
Hi Robert, could you zip the whole schmear up and post it here? lemme see what's at work here.

Or if you got SVN working you can "commit" it.

thanks!
Kelley
QUOTE(robcat2075 @ Oct 6 2007, 07:33 PM) *
Hi Robert, could you zip the whole schmear up and post it here? lemme see what's at work here.
Or if you got SVN working you can "commit" it.

Since I am still numbered among the SVN-challanged, I'll e-mail it to you. Here it comes.
robcat2075
Hi Robert,

here are some notes about the maps...

Bumps-o-rama

thanks!
Kelley
Rob: Sorry to not respond sooner, but my monitors have speakers that render your voice at a whisper. I got a set of headphones today and jacked in and listened to your presentation again. Very nice stuff. Particularly the notion of building maps up or down from a 50% gray. And I was really surprised at what you did with displacement. I was sure there was not enough geometry in your sample models for a displacement map to work on. My impression has always been that there must lots of CP's.

I'll start again on the Winkie and try to apply your pointers.
robcat2075
QUOTE(Kelley @ Oct 11 2007, 06:02 PM) *
And I was really surprised at what you did with displacement. I was sure there was not enough geometry in your sample models for a displacement map to work on. My impression has always been that there must lots of CP's.
That used to be true up to about v12 I think. Then Martin came up with this new way to do displacement and as far as I know, mesh density is no longer an issue. It does have some peculiarities and limitations but there are better experts on that on this forum than I.
robcat2075
So how're the uniform decals coming? The band is going to be naked if we dont' get a uniform on them.
NancyGormezano
QUOTE(robcat2075 @ Dec 5 2007, 01:27 PM) *
The band is going to be naked if we dont' get a uniform on them.

Is that why they call them Winkies?

(BAD! nancy)
KenH
Robert, can we get a progress report on this? It's really holding things up as we can't add to the model till we get your textured version. Thanks.
robcat2075
Hey I just got a look at the winkies in their band uniforms. They look great. They even sound better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.