Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Female Scarecrow Model Sheet
Hash, Inc. Forums > Featured > Feature Films: Tin Woodman of Oz - Scarecrow of Oz > Tin Woodman of Oz > TWO Modeling > TWO Characters
ypoissant
Here is the model sheet for the Female Scarecrow
Zaryin
Yves, I'll be starting either tomorrow or the next day. I seem to have some kind of stomach virus right now. It's making it difficult to do anything right now, haha. Hopfully it won't last too long. In fact I might start a little of it tonight. A few questions though.

1: How should I model that skirt (ie: dynamics or simcloth being used)?

2: Should I model lips or will they be "painted" on later?

3: Should I make a hinged mouth (like a ventriliquist doll), or just a regular mouth?

4: Should I make ball jounts for the fingers of the hands, or will the look like regular hands except made of wood?

I think that's it for now.

ypoissant
QUOTE(Zaryin @ Mar 6 2007, 11:07 PM) *
1: How should I model that skirt (ie: dynamics or simcloth being used)?
That is a very good question. She will be dancing with TWO Scarecrow. But I see the skirt as being relatively rigid. So I'd say model the skirt so we can add dynamics on it but not simcloth. I'd like to have feedback from anybody who have experience with a similar situation.

2: Should I model lips or will they be "painted" on later?
Very simple lips. Almost just the edges of the mouth opening. No pulpous lips.

3: Should I make a hinged mouth (like a ventriliquist doll), or just a regular mouth?
Regular mouth.

4: Should I make ball jounts for the fingers of the hands, or will the look like regular hands except made of wood?
Regular hands made of wood. We will not see her hands in close-ups. Painting the hinges with bump maps should do the job if we need those details.
Zaryin
Here's what I have so far. The Face Decal is just a place holder. There is a rendering artifact over the eye.
ypoissant
That's a very good start. Looking good.
Xtaz
Nice start Zaryin... can you show us a side and a shaded wire view ?
Zaryin
Here's an update. Yves, what did you want me to do for under the dress? Did you want nothing or maybe a little ruffly thing...?

QUOTE(Xtaz @ Mar 9 2007, 02:27 PM) *
Nice start Zaryin... can you show us a side and a shaded wire view ?

Thanks. Ask, and ye shall receive.

ypoissant
QUOTE(Zaryin @ Mar 9 2007, 04:06 PM) *
Here's an update. Yves, what did you want me to do for under the dress? Did you want nothing or maybe a little ruffly thing...?

Yeah! A litle ruffy thing would look good during the dance steps.

I will be away for the weekend so I won't be able to reply until sunday night. But you are going well. Good work so far.
Zaryin
Update.

Zaryin
Ok, here's an update, but I really need some opinions. I have all these petal like shapes (ie: The collar, cuffs, apron). I would like opinions on whether it might be better to model them as straight patches then use a cookie-cut map to get the petal effect? Should I leave it alone, making the patch count very high? Should I make them all cookie-cut? Or should I leave the collar and cuffs alone, and make the apron cookie-cut?

I'm leaning towards the last idea, but I would really like some opinions on what everyone thinks before I move on with implementing anything. Please let me know.

EDIT: I've decided that I'm going to go with cookie-cut for the apron. It just doesn't look good enough the way it is. To get it to look like the others would require alot more patches than should be used, so I'll go with that. smile.gif
Zaryin
Another Update.

Zaryin
Ok, all the modeling is done except for the hair. I don't really have an idea as to how the hair should be done. With Hair or modeled? If modeled, um, how? If we'll be using hair then this is done for now and can go to the riggers. So I guess I'll just have to wait until Yves gets back to find out. smile.gif
LeeAnderson
Ahh... she's cute! Great work Jeff!

I had to look a long time to find anything that bothered me...it's a shame that this will only be in the movie for a short time...but the end of the sleeves (the tubular part) look...uh...too tubular (not in a ninja turtles kind of way wink.gif ). Were you planning on this area to be wrinkled with textures? Just a thought...

Looks great!

Lee
Zaryin
Thanks, Jimmy. With wrinkles and things I just followed the model sheet. If there not in there I didn't model them. If Yves, says he would like to see that, I'll add them though smile.gif.

Thanks again.
KenH
Nice work Jeff. I imagine the hair will be similar to Tingirls.....only bigger and longer. biggrin.gif Or maybe not.
agep
Great model Jeff!
ypoissant
Nice work, Jeff. I agree with using cookie cuts for the apron. This is not a part that we will see close-up.
QUOTE(KenH @ Mar 11 2007, 03:41 PM) *
I imagine the hair will be similar to Tingirls.....only bigger and longer.
Yes. That is a good comparison and that is the idea I had in mind.
Zaryin
Thanks everyone.

I hate to jump ahead, but how will the individual hair planes be textured. I have a feeling I'll be the one doing it, haha.
mtpeak2
Nice model Jeff. A wood grain texture for the hair I assume, bitmap plus may do the job.
Zaryin
Thanks Mark.

So here's what I assume is the finished model -- at least the modeling part smile.gif. Let me know if you're satisfied Yves and I'll upload it to SVN.

mtpeak2
That looks fantastic Jeff, nice job on the hair.
Dhar
I love the style. Nice going, Jeff smile.gif
Rodney
As Scarecrow might say... "Hubba Hubba"
Whatever that means. biggrin.gif

Very nice Jeff! You definitely model on model.
Its such a thrill to see the process go from idea... to sketch... to model.
And when animated... its magic.

Added: May I suggest: A few wood shavings for bangs to fill out the front of the hat/top of her face.
She has some hair there in Yves original drawing.
Zaryin
Yeah, I love the process myself smile.gif. Thanks for the comments, guys. I wonder how that hair will be rigged? With dynamic bones...?
ypoissant
Fantastic model Jeff. The hair are exactly the way I imagined them. You need to add a few shorter wood shaving for her front tuft of hair.

Rigging the hair. They need to be fairly rigid but still react to movements. Some dynamic constraints would probably do the trick.

Texturing hair: I'd suggest using patch images. That would probably be the easiest to use because the texture would automatically orient to the patch directions.
Zaryin
Ok, I added ringlets to the front hair and added her to SVN as Female_Scarecrow.mdl (Folder of the same name).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.