Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KuKlip's Beard
Hash, Inc. Forums > Featured > Feature Films: Tin Woodman of Oz - Scarecrow of Oz > Tin Woodman of Oz > TWO Modeling > TWO Characters
jandals
Does anyone know why KuKlip's beard isn't attached to this head anymore?
mtpeak2
Ken moved it to do the face rigging, so he could see what he was doing.
KenH
Sorry, I forgot to put it back. It should be a set number of grid points removed from his face....hmm...maybe that depends on the units.
Nunsofamerica
lol. He looks pretty cool without the beard too. smile.gif
John Bigboote
Hello-

I have been working on a 'particle' version of Ku Klip's hair. Here is a progress shot showing the 'non-dynamic' hair (ie: eyebrows, mustachio, sideburns) and I hope to be able to get working on the dynamic, flowing beard portion this week. This is an early in-progress shot, so if anyone see's something WAY WRONG or I misunderstood the assignment/criteria, PLEASE ADVISE.

Matt Campbell
KenH
Good start! A typical biker. biggrin.gif

Out of interest, I would love to see if a more stylized look would work. For example, with really thick bases coning into a point....I'm talking one or two hairs forming his mustache. It may not but it's the way I've been imagining him up to now.
martin
That's very reassuring, Matt. It looks very good to me. Are you using any shaders?

Once the long part is on, we can start "final" rendering of Sequence 2_07.
John Bigboote
No shaders yet, but I will be adding the MuHair shader...unless something better has come along. That's a good idea, Ken...I was wondering if a hair precedence had been set yet in this film...a protocol to follow. Mostly, I am trying to follow the modeled hair/beard as seen at the top of this thread. Also at issue, since I am not the animator of this character, or do not know if animation has been completed or is yet to be completed- is the factor of how much motion this character encounters...I will try to make the beard dynamic 'all-encompassing' but that will be a shot in the dark.

I am thinking I will need to model the beard coming straight off his face forward...and 1/2 second will be needed as 'pre-roll' to let the beard fall where it may and let the collision-detection work against his belly. All speculation at this point...
martin
QUOTE(John Bigboote @ Jan 22 2007, 08:46 AM) *
I was wondering if a hair precedence had been set yet in this film...a protocol to follow. Mostly, I am trying to follow the modeled hair/beard as seen at the top of this thread.
Yes.

Also at issue, since I am not the animator of this character, or do not know if animation has been completed or is yet to be completed- is the factor of how much motion this character encounters...I will try to make the beard dynamic 'all-encompassing' .
There's been a lot of animation for Ku-Klip (all of 2_07), so we'll have plenty of "test" cases.

I am thinking I will need to model the beard coming straight off his face forward...and 1/2 second will be needed as 'pre-roll' to let the beard fall where it may and let the collision-detection work against his belly. All speculation at this point...
All Ku-Klip shots have 100 frames of preroll.
John Bigboote
Here's another W.I.P. I am rendering a motion test overnight to see how the CD is working. And still tweeking.
This has the MuhHair shader and is in the default chor lighting setup. There sure is a lot of specularity on Ku Klip, I notice. I really like the rig and his animatability, nice work there...I guess that is the infamous 'squetch' rig? Great stuff!
KenH
I hope you updated Klip before you started. I think Mark fixed the brightness on him. You might get a conflict when commiting.
mtpeak2
Looking good Matt, but I think I like him better with just the mustache and sideburns. No I didn't fix any brightness on him, I adjusted the settings on the shortcut in the chor.
LeeAnderson
QUOTE(mtpeak2 @ Jan 22 2007, 04:42 PM) *
Looking good Matt, but I think I like him better with just the mustache and sideburns.

You know, I think I may agree with Mark. I really like the way that looked, I think it added a lot of character. Instead of the typical Santa Clause type he was an old man with an attitude (as such craftsman usually are) Either way it looks great!
John Bigboote
DYNAMIC BEARD PROGRESS:

I'm glad you guys like the 'motorcycle Ku Klip' version, but here is how the beard is working after a day of setting-tweeks. I gave KuKlip a 'happy-dance' to test out the dynamix. I'm sorta happy with it's overall appearance but want to work a little more on it's lustre, or pantene...I can never get the MuhHair to work the way it's supposed to, but so far I haven't dinked with any of it's settings...and it has a LOT. (see clip)

Mark- I'm glad to hear I am working with the latest model...nice work!
martin
QUOTE(John Bigboote @ Jan 23 2007, 10:44 AM) *
here is how the beard is working after a day of setting-tweeks. I gave KuKlip a 'happy-dance' to test out the dynamix. I'm sorta happy with it's overall appearance but want to work a little more on it's lustre, or pantene...I can never get the MuhHair to work the way it's supposed to, but so far I haven't dinked with any of it's settings...and it has a LOT. (see clip)

That's coming along nicely.

Are you setting "Render Shaders" ON? (So that MuHair works.)
John Bigboote
I'm glad your liking it. Yes, I have that turned ON in my render settings.
martin
QUOTE(John Bigboote @ Jan 23 2007, 11:42 AM) *
I'm glad your liking it. Yes, I have that turned ON in my render settings.

Try a dark color for the Hair and see if that shades better, then dial the color lighter as high as you can go and still have "shape."
John Bigboote
Good advice, Sir. I darkened the hair and got rid of the gradients I had in it. Also, I found the 'brightness' and 'variation' controls were in need of adjusting. Here's a still, will post action in the AM as it renders overnight...something (?) I did today made it render and work a lot faster than it was yesterday... I am using the latest V13.0P.

EDIT: This image uses 'Muhair' for the main shader and 'Kayijakay' for the specular shader. I am testing tonight the difference between the 'spring' and the 'constraint' hair dynamic (@3%) ONLY 3 passes on this image.
martin
Looks better. Another thing that will really help is the Hair "jitter" we added to V14 Multipass. It will really soften this up alot.
Zaryin
QUOTE(martin @ Jan 23 2007, 06:08 PM) *
Looks better. Another thing that will really help is the Hair "jitter" we added to V14 Multipass. It will really soften this up alot.

Oooh, you added a jitter for hair. Nice! Is it a property in the hair mat. or the renderer?
John Bigboote
Sorry...large 4 mb file.

Getting there, I didn't get any time to tweek today. I'll 'up' the CD settings and run another test...
John Bigboote
Here's the latest on KK's beard styling...and at this point I am going to put the file back where I got it from (If I can find it) with the word 'hair' added to the .mdl file...so others can test and dink with it. My apologies to Martin for how long it took for me to get to this and then DO it...with that in mind, what do you need next?
martin
Thanks, Matt! We'll try and get that Hair Ku-Klip combined with the textured Ku-Klip, and get some final frames to start rendering.
John Bigboote
I had downloaded KuKlip.mdl with instructions I recieved from David Higgins (below) which include the information that I am unable to upload the file and that I need to get someone to help me put the new KuKlip_Hair.mdl where it needs to be...should I upload the file to this thread? Or can I send it to someone with access to the master database.

If you don't want to/can't install SVN for some reason you can download the files directly from the repository:

http://www.hash.com:8008/movie/svn/active/

You just won't be able to upload them again so you'll need to make arrangements for someone to put them back again.

Cheers

--------------------
D a v i d H i g g i n s
martin
QUOTE(John Bigboote @ Jan 26 2007, 08:38 AM) *
I had downloaded KuKlip.mdl with instructions I recieved from David Higgins (below) which include the information that I am unable to upload the file and that I need to get someone to help me put the new KuKlip_Hair.mdl where it needs to be...should I upload the file to this thread? Or can I send it to someone with access to the master database.

Email it to noel@hash.com
John Bigboote
Got it, THANKS!
Noel
QUOTE(John Bigboote @ Jan 26 2007, 08:38 AM) *

If you don't want to/can't install SVN for some reason you can download the files directly from the repository:

http://www.hash.com:8008/movie/svn/active/

You just won't be able to upload them again so you'll need to make arrangements for someone to put them back again.

Cheers

--------------------
D a v i d H i g g i n s

Just so everyone knows.

Not going through svn should be avoided. If someone wants to work on just one model there is a way to checkout just that folder.
If you are unable to use svn I'd be glad to help you.
If you do work on something outside of svn please have some one with svn give you the latest revision number for each file that you are working on before you start, and keep a copy of what you started from. That will make merging the changes much easier. But again this should be avoided.

And as always two people working on the same file at the same time should be avoided, by making sure you are assigned a task for what you are doing in dotproject.

Thanks
John Bigboote
Can I be pointed in the direction where a trove of knowledge awaits me as 'SVN for Idiots'... I am pretty green in that particular department, at the beginning of the whole TWO thing, over a year ago, I installed a 'tortoise' thing...is that it?
Noel
QUOTE(John Bigboote @ Jan 31 2007, 07:18 AM) *
Can I be pointed in the direction where a trove of knowledge awaits me as 'SVN for Idiots'... I am pretty green in that particular department, at the beginning of the whole TWO thing, over a year ago, I installed a 'tortoise' thing...is that it?

Yep thats it. See svn on the wiki.
If you have any specific questions that are not aswered there please feel free to ask me.

The basics are:
Install tortoise (if you are a OSX MAC person this is different see wiki's svn install page)
Use the svn walk through to check out the data. (its big but this is the easiest way)
Get a dotproject task.
Update before any edit. (you can update just parts you are working on)
Edit the files for that task.
Commit your work. (it only commits what you changed)

I commited your hair changes, email me if you want help checking out all or just that folder if you want to check my merging of your work.

Thanks
Noel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.