Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tinwoodmans heart (WIP)
Hash, Inc. Forums > Featured > Feature Films: Tin Woodman of Oz - Scarecrow of Oz > Tin Woodman of Oz > TWO Modeling > TWO Props
Pages: 1, 2
agep
I've started on the model of Tinwoodmans heart. The model is still a WIP, I'm going to add more details (like brackets for the gear and maybe some pipes). The tricky part of this model is that it is going to be able to break in two. The model is based on a sketch by Rhett.

Stian

[attachmentid=19055]
agep
New update smile.gif

[attachmentid=19056]
Zaryin
Looks great so far. Where's it going to break?
agep
QUOTE(Zaryin @ Jul 31 2006, 09:21 PM) *

Looks great so far. Where's it going to break?
Thanks. Its going to break in the middle. Here is an small update:

[attachmentid=19063]
agep
New update. Have broken the heart. Let me know if this is a accepted approach on the model.

Stian

[attachmentid=19097]
Zaryin
I love it. I wish other people were commenting on it.
KenH
Nice! Are there going to be cogs and gears inside it? Also, Tinman will need a few cogs/pistons/pipes inside his compartment to hook up to this baby.
jandals
It looks great Stian! For the heart's crack we can either put the two halves close together or paint a crack on the full model. I think putting the two halves near eachother in the shot will be fine.

Do you want to move on to texturing it?

Rhett
agep
QUOTE(jandals @ Aug 1 2006, 10:19 PM) *

It looks great Stian! For the heart's crack we can either put the two halves close together or paint a crack on the full model. I think putting the two halves near eachother in the shot will be fine.

Rhett

Oh, so it doesn't need to bee in two separate pieces? If not, a bump decal would do the trick. I would leave the texturing to someone else if possibe. However, its going to use the same tinmaterial that is on Tinwoodman himself? and perhaps some kind of ornament rose bump on it?
martin
QUOTE(agep @ Aug 1 2006, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(jandals @ Aug 1 2006, 10:19 PM) *

Rhett

Oh, so it doesn't need to bee in two separate pieces? If not, a bump decal would do the trick. I would leave the texturing to someone else if possibe. However, its going to use the same tinmaterial that is on Tinwoodman himself? and perhaps some kind of ornament rose bump on it?

It needs to be two separate piece in Act III when Tin Woodman's heart totally breaks because Tin Girl does not love him. He gives one half to her... And of course, they live happily ever after.

I like the idea of embossing. Try it.
jandals
You modeled ith right Stian. The heart definitely needs to be in two pieces. I mentioned painting the full model to look cracked because in it's first appearance the heart is only cracked. I think we'll use the separated halves for both, though, and not paint a crack onto the model.
agep
Here is the two separate pieces put close together. It do contain a few creases, put I believe a material and a ornament will hide that pretty good. I'll try to find tinmans material on the svn and test it. also is there any ornaments made before for the movie? that I can adapt to fit the heart?

[attachmentid=19143]
jandals
That's perfect Stian. I don't remember seeing any designs for a Tin Woodman ornament of any kind but an internet search for things like "compass rose" or "celtic knot" turns up a lot of interesting designs.

Rhett
agep
QUOTE(jandals @ Aug 2 2006, 06:37 PM) *

That's perfect Stian. I don't remember seeing any designs for a Tin Woodman ornament of any kind but an internet search for things like "compass rose" or "celtic knot" turns up a lot of interesting designs.

Rhett

Thanks Rhett. I'll give it a try right away smile.gif
agep
Okey, I gave it a shot. Not sure if it looks good though huh.gif

[attachmentid=19157]
martin
QUOTE(agep @ Aug 2 2006, 11:49 AM) *

Okey, I gave it a shot. Not sure if it looks good though huh.gif

Sure it looks good - the Tin Woodman cigarette lighter. (Make it heart red rather than green though.)
agep
QUOTE(martin @ Aug 2 2006, 10:56 PM) *
the Tin Woodman cigarette lighter

Hehe. That would make a really great movie souvenir after the TWO release!

Here is the heart in red:

[attachmentid=19163]
mtpeak2
Nice job Stian, looks cool.
thekamps
How about a "Heart of Gold" wink.gif
KenH
I wonder if it will beat/expand.
martin
QUOTE(KenH @ Aug 2 2006, 05:15 PM) *

Sounds like a job for Mark Skodacek (mtpeak2).
mtpeak2
Don't I have enough work to do? blink.gif Use a distortion box in a percentage pose. wink.gif
John Bigboote
QUOTE(KenH @ Aug 2 2006, 04:15 PM) *

OR---use the 'sphereize' plug-in! In a pose. I'll give that a twirl...if needed.
cosmonaut
Very nice Stian ... I can almost hear that thing cranking away.
Zaryin
That is beautiful. I would like to see the filligree with a gold patina though.
martin
QUOTE(John Bigboote @ Aug 2 2006, 06:46 PM) *

QUOTE(KenH @ Aug 2 2006, 04:15 PM) *

OR---use the 'sphereize' plug-in! In a pose. I'll give that a twirl...if needed.

You're on, Matt. We'll get you TWOing yet!
agep
QUOTE(Zaryin @ Aug 3 2006, 06:12 AM) *

That is beautiful. I would like to see the filligree with a gold patina though.
Is this what you had in mind?
Personally I do prefer the clean version, but I could try to tone down the gold a bit

[attachmentid=19207]
Zaryin
Yeah, you're right. That doesn't look nearly as good as the clean version.
KenH
Just simple red painted tin does it for me.
NancyGormezano
I like it with the gold - but what it needs is more specularity (and maybe reflectivity) for the embossing for it to really look like gold - perhaps add specularity & reflectivity maps to the gold area decal container ? Try different specularity colors (orange, yellow, anything just to see what might work).

It's once again a really beautiful model by Stian
martin
QUOTE(NancyGormezano @ Aug 3 2006, 08:00 PM) *

I like it with the gold - but what it needs is more specularity (and maybe reflectivity) for the embossing for it to really look like gold - perhaps add specularity & reflectivity maps to the gold area decal container ? Try different specularity colors (orange, yellow, anything just to see what might work).

It's once again a really beautiful model by Stian

I'm with Nancy. Give it a shot, Nancy: you're the "looks like tin to me" expert.
NancyGormezano
Okay I can be sucked in.

I'll give it a try - I will PM you, Stian with my email address - so you could send me the model & decal. (I prefer not to deal with the SVN).

NancyGormezano
Well, I got the hot throbbing heart model in my quirky little hands - delivered on dry ice yesterday, from We Gotcha Donors, Inc. Poor Stian - probably suffering severe separation anxiety right now.

I'll be trying a variety of things - and will post multiple choices later - some of which I'm sure will horrify the minimalists.

I'll try some ideas that I think might work for others, but I gotta have my fun too!

This model has amazing detail - which begs the question - How close up is the camera going to get?

Robert Jarvik could have implanted this thing in some of the first heart transplant recipients.
NancyGormezano
As I threatened - here's the first batch. Flow with it. I was trying a variety of color combos along with different textures (bump). So all is mix & match. Choose 1 from column A & 1 from column B.

I just had to get these out of my system. Next batch I will try more silvery tones with more refined engraving - but refined just ain't my style...so don't expect meticulous.

I didn't focus on the gearing or trim peices - that can also be manipulated.

Comments welcome.

EDIT: added golden celestial combo

EDIT: added heated copper & coppery
KenH
I like the red below the purple one. It looks worn.
Dagooos
QUOTE(KenH @ Aug 5 2006, 08:17 PM) *

I like the red below the purple one. It looks worn.

Thats the one I like the best too. The other ones really remind me of a perfume bottle.
NancyGormezano
Ok thats 2 for the red with the big clumpy pattern. I just added a goldenish one. I wanna add more - some one stop me.

Is the goal to go for worn? I would think the heart would have been polished. I like it polished. Should it look neglected? scuffed, bruised? imperfect? Hasn't Tinny been storing it away all this time? do we want the crack to show before it falls apart into 2 halves?

Is real red the preferred color? Anemic red? Purple heart red? Coppery red? Maroon red? Green moldy red?, Plain ol' red with no pattern?

Should the piston cylinder be the same color as the heart? or contrasting? I prefer contrasting.

Am I being a pain? Don't answer.

Any preferences in bump patterns? Any requests for seeing red with different patterns? Combos R Us. We aim to confuse.

EDIT: make that 3 for the red big clumpy - husband just voted
martin
Is it okay for me to be "girly" and say I like them all?
MMZ_TimeLord
Nancy,

When I first saw the red heart (stian's original), it was nice, but it didn't seem to me that with all the polished metals around, that the 'enameled' or 'painted' heart would fit.

I did some searching and found I remembered that if you heat copper with a torch or in an oven, it will take on a VERY red color... here's an example...

[attachmentid=19334]

This copper was heated, and had some art elements added (jewels, and masking to make the pattern).

Anyway, I would probably go with the main casing made of this shade of copper, and the other elements made of brass, bronze, or tin.

I don't have the model or I would take a shot at it myself.

EDIT: Pulled the picture and added it as an attachment Nancy
NancyGormezano
QUOTE(martin @ Aug 5 2006, 08:47 PM) *

Is it okay for me to be "girly" and say I like them all?

Thanks but That's what I was afraid of - too girly for this crowd. Poor Stian, I saw him leave the room weeping.

I will try to do some manly man hearts tomorrow (thats gonna be tough for me)

MMZ - Your image didn't show - but I tried to approximate heated copper in my two new posts up above -
http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=190455

I think I still prefer the red as well.

I'm not futz-ing with the pipes & such too much yet.

How about a nice Mother of Pearl ? with silver trimmings - He's an Emporer after all. (I can't control my girlies)

EDIT - Ooops. I just realised that if I expand my browser the second red one (#4) comes under the purple - So now I'm not sure if we're all talking about liking the same red one - I was assuming the first red one (#3).
martin
They're all great, Nancy! You can stop anytime (except, of course, if you're just having a good time experimenting). If we picked any one of these at random, everyone would clap and cheer.
ddustin
I like the middle left red/could some how/be a bio-mech heart muscle red one.

Very nice work.

David
Stuart Rogers
QUOTE(NancyGormezano @ Aug 6 2006, 03:04 AM) *
Is real red the preferred color? Anemic red? Purple heart red? Coppery red? Maroon red? Green moldy red?, Plain ol' red with no pattern?
I like them all, but I would go for a colour combination that clearly sets the cylinder part off from the cardioid part. The cardioid curves in all dimensions, while the cylinder doesn't, which suggests to me different engineering principles behind their design, so I suggest maintaining that difference in colour and texture.
Any preferences in bump patterns?
A little suggestion, regardless of the bump pattern you choose... Put a non-bump border around the bolt hole and around where the pipes enter the cardioid, to pick them out. To my eye, for some bump maps, these features get a little lost in the detail.
agep
Nancy, they are all VERY beautiful. I've a hard time picking my favorite

Stian
jandals
They're all beautiful but I think my favorite it "heated copper." Although I prefer the color of the gear and piston-trim in "orange pearls."

EDIT I keep bouncing between heated copper and orange pearls. Both are great options.
NancyGormezano
Today I tried to experiment with silvery tones & reduce the futzy detailing that seemed to suggest "perfume bottle".

And of course, I was on a Manly Man Heart quest. (As opposed to yesterday:)
http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=190455

Well, "manly quest" didn't last long, and before long I was into glass. There is 1 brushed tin look, and other tinny embossed stuff.

I think I prefer yesterday's assortment. But it's hard to know what will work in the scene(s) in which the heart appears, without knowing the other elements.

Thanks for the previous comments. I haven't had time to reflect on them (just read them). I'm done experimenting, except for any creative sparks that occur from the comments.

Today's batch is more subdued, and the glass ones are presented for your curiousity. Refracted, reflective, transparency takes forever to render.

I honestly was going to do one with hot flames, racing stripes and exhaust fumes, but time grew short. It's a good thing.
Dagooos
I like #2. That really has a nice look about it. # 3 looks pretty cool too. I can see that little heart pumping in there now.
KenH
Yeah, number 2. Or the red version of it....but a less gaudy red. wink.gif
luckbat
Number two. Love it.
mtpeak2
I too would have to say #2. Nice job Nancy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.