Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

expression RGB(r,g,b) has anyone used this

johnl3d

for fun trying to have random color changes in models but using a rand() expression in the color numbers causes AM to crash ..tried RGB(r,g,b ) with random numbers ..crash

played with x,y,z size expressions and tried to have those number go into color number slots...crash weird numbers do not need to be integers so rand()*255 should work

without color changes quick test front model has pose turned off

randomize.mov

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

Have you tried it with integers?

You might try a progressive test where R G and B are all constants, Dose that survive?

then try R getting a random number and see if that works.

then add G getting random...

• Admin

John,

I'm not sure if this is what you are after but it appears to work on my end.

Try:

RGB(Rand()*255,Rand()*255,Rand()*255)

Where you seed each of the RGB values with a different random number.

Note that I don't know how to limit the Random value to a range between 1 and 255.

Anyone?

I've attached the project file with one groups surface property being altered and will post a few variations on the theme in order to explore more.

This technically is the first expression I've ever written that had an actual reason for being written.

Warning: Anyone prone to seizures due to rapid color change might want to forgo watching the .MOV.

RandomColorExpression.prj

randomcolorexpresssion.mov

RGB(Rand()*255,Rand()*255,Rand()*255)

Where you seed each of the RGB values with a different random number.

Note that I don't know how to limit the Random value to a range between 1 and 255.

Anyone?

Rand() generates a number between 0 and 1, so multiplying that number by 255 (as you have already done) will limit the result to between 0 and 255. The project worked fine on my end.

• Admin

Here's the same thing extended to each of the RGB values separately (i.e to isolate colors to their linear... yes linear... paths within their respective Red, Green and Blue color spaces).

For the fun of it, I will note that linear color is an abstraction that allows us to interpret nonlinear color space.

While the numbers 1 through 255 are linear, color isn't normally isolated as such in the real world and any path traced through time will be influenced by many other factors, creating nonlinear paths through color space. In short, it's all about relativity. Sometimes these paths are smooth... as in a weighted arc... and sometimes... as in these psuedo-randomly generated expressions... erratic.

RandomColorExpressionRGB.prj

randomcolorexpresssionRGB.mov

• Admin
Rand() generates a number between 0 and 1, so multiplying that number by 255 (as you have already done) will limit the result to between 0 and 255. The project worked fine on my end.

Outstanding.

Thanks David!

Edit: In looking back I see I would have to revise my words to state, 'a number between 0 and 255' as I'd need to account for the occurrence of multiplying by zero).

• Developer

From the doc for RGB expression

Creates a color by combining the three floating point values r, g, and b. These numbers should be expressed as 8 bit color, from 0 to 255.

Version 18e , will clamp the values between 0 and 255 self and using absolute values, so a translate propertie can used as example .