Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Contest Mascott v18: Chameleon

Fuchur

Some may have guest it, other may not: The entry with the chameleon on it was mine.

If you are interested I want to show of a little about that fellow because it was a quite interesting workflow.

I used A:M to create the model (and rig), gave it some basic materials, used BakeSurface from A:M and exported as an OBJ with a high polycount (I think 256 or 1024 subdivisions, I am not sure...), brought the model with the UV-set to 3dCoat v4.

There I painted all the little dots, shades and the displacementmaps (bump is done using a procentual material in A:M), saved the textures and back in A:M

I rendered it out... it worked very well and I could paint over seams in the UV-set without any trouble. It worked better than I had expeceted.

The image used close to any more advanced rendering technique I could imagine including:

- SSS

- DisplacementMaps

- Bumps

- procentual materials

- a small amount of hair and sprite-particles,

- Real AO (very slightly used)

- quite large textures. (since I only got 3dCoat for private use, the texture-sizes are limited to 2048 x 2048 pixels...)

Attached you can find some screens from A:M and 3dCoat showing the chameleon for the contest.

Additional how it would have looked like as a splash screen and the final images again.

I sure had fun creating it and even so I did not win anything for it, it still was a lot of fun!

I'd love to see from others how they created their entries :). If you have any time, please let us know about the great images which were created for this contest!

See you

*Fuchur*

shaded_view.jpg

shaded_wireframe_view.jpg

simple_bones_view.jpg

3d_coat_painted.jpg

wireframe_view.jpg

chameleon_19_0005_04.jpg

chameleon_19_wide_0005.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
There is a private use version of 3d Coat?

I'm using v4 here and texture size is 16kx16k max. UV mapping anything huge in that can be a problem because it runs out of memory and you can't esc out.

Nice character btw

Yes, since v4 you can buy a private use version of 3d Coat for 99 Dollars (instead of about 350 Dollars for the full version).

The policy on the 3D-Coat Educational version have been changed. We offer 3D-Coat to students, hobbyists and amateurs pursuing non-commercial goals, so as senior people and unemployed at $99 US.

Limitation of Education version:

2) textures size to export is limited to 2048x2048

> http://3d-coat.com/buy-now/

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: Thank you very much everybody :) It was a lot of fun!