Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need an effect...

Hi!

I need to create a sphere whose surface moves (or appears to move) something like boiling water. Looking at animated materials--color-wise it will be black with purple specular so the material will just be 'bump' (I think 'displacement' would be too much render time). I could probably find an animated clip but decaling a sphere and getting it even would be hard no matter how you work it (unfolding sphere, spherical mapping and placement, etc).

Any ideas, let me know!

Thanks,

Rusty

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41325

just posted this recently in Tinkering Gnome

or here is another version I just played with with the animated material changing speed and direction

newcolor.mov

newcolor.zip

Curses, I can't open the project file in V14. John, does this use any new AM features?

Rusty

I need to create a sphere whose surface moves (or appears to move) something like boiling water. Looking at animated materials--color-wise it will be black with purple specular so the material will just be 'bump' (I think 'displacement' would be too much render time). I could probably find an animated clip but decaling a sphere and getting it even would be hard no matter how you work it (unfolding sphere, spherical mapping and placement, etc).

Think again.

Took John's last animated clip, decaled it onto a sphere with planar mapping ie.- no unwrapping, no unfolding, no complicated placement needed, but could have used spherical mapping. His animation was used to drive displacement as well as some coloring, but I also combined it with some other turquoise color image. Also added specularity and reflectivity

Rendered 3 pass and it took 4 secs/frame - ver16b

globe0highh264loop.mov

screencap.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Darn... actually I can't open anything in A:M on my notebook--to my knowledge this started today. I get the following error:

The program can't start because MFC71.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I reinstalled A:M but still get the error. I'm researching the problem.

Rusty

Think again.

Took John's last animated clip, decaled it onto a sphere with planar mapping ie.- no unwrapping, no unfolding, no complicated placement needed, but could have used spherical mapping. His animation was used to drive displacement as well as some coloring, but I also combined it with some other turquoise color image. Also added specularity and reflectivity

Rendered 3 pass and it took 4 secs/frame - ver16b

Cool!! Thanks!!

Seems I didn't add reflectivity in the above clip.

So for my own education, added 50% reflectivity, along with 50% transparency to globe, which made render times shoot up to 31 secs/frame. When I ramped the transparency back down to 0, render time went to 11 secs/frame (still with 50% reflectivity), as expected. Transparency is always a killer.

Forgot to mention I also added roughness to globe (in clip above as well as in this one). This clip has a slightly better look. Obviously could refine this, ad nauseum. So I'll stop now before I puke.

globe0reflecttransparetlooph264.mov

Seems I didn't add reflectivity in the above clip.

So for my own education, added 50% reflectivity, along with 50% transparency to globe, which made render times shoot up to 31 secs/frame. When I ramped the transparency back down to 0, render time went to 11 secs/frame (still with 50% reflectivity), as expected. Transparency is always a killer.

Forgot to mention I also added roughness to globe (in clip above as well as in this one). This clip has a slightly better look. Obviously could refine this, ad nauseum. So I'll stop now before I puke.

Thanks so mputtingr puting out (oh that sounds bad... err...) the effort!! I may run with this but right now I've been able to copy what John's done... pretty simple once you see what 'kind' of material you need to use.

Rusty

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41325

just posted this recently in Tinkering Gnome

or here is another version I just played with with the animated material changing speed and direction

newcolor.mov

newcolor.zip

Hey John,

I don't know if it's my trying to load your project files in V14c and things are going wacko or what but I cannot figure out what you're doing to get the boiling surface effect. According to the project file which maybe scrambled, you're doing stuff I didn't even know was possible! Like:

1. You seem to have a driver up in the model which is animating the material's translate-Z from 0 to -9.68 over 30 frames. I didn't know you could do this let alone how.

2. You seem to be using the same material twice on the lotofpatches model on the inner group, is this right?

3. In the chor things really seem wacko... under groups only material1 shows up animating sine:scale-Z(500-548 frames 0-30) but this is the only thing that looks normal... later in chor-action1 I see separate entries for material1 and material1(2) (see next item 4) and then again under another 'groups' (expanded drivers) I find material1 listed twice seemingly doing different things!

4. There are other key frames for the material's Z translation but I can't find a source for them (if that makes sense), they run frames 0-30-60 and the values are something like 0, 20, -40something (with no source, the exact numbers are not shown anywhere).

I am so confused, LOL! I feel like CP30 in Attack of the Clones when his head gets put on a battle droid! I was actually able to render newcolorplus.prj in V14c and although the 'radiation' aurora does not work the boiling surface on the inner sphere does work. I would just take this and use it but things look so wacko that I do not know how to expand the frames out to about 8 seconds or make it loop-able.

My eyes are crossed from looking at this project file and I'm going to take a break and get a strong drink.

Fantastic stuff your doing!

Rusty

The use of the same material twice is so the colors and the displacement follow each other check the materials and you'll see usually the second one shows a displacement value ... then in the chor I vary the position of the material by moving both in this case in a z direction but it could also be rotated moved in x and /or y direction

Rusty

I'm not in a position to be able to help with the effect you are after in AM but, there is a possibility of very strong Auroral activity over the next couple of days as the largest solar storm for five years kicked off a couple of days ago. If you are in a location that favours that it might be of interest ?

regards

simon

Darn... actually I can't open anything in A:M on my notebook--to my knowledge this started today. I get the following error:

The program can't start because MFC71.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I reinstalled A:M but still get the error. I'm researching the problem.

Rusty

Which version are you using? Maybe you need A:M stuff to run it on your notebook.

See the FTP-server for that. I remember such a problem but it is quite long gone.

See you

*Fuchur*