Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A Gem Stone

OK, I have been away for a bit. I got out of doing video and started faceting gemstones in the basement (the computer is in the house - not so sure it is a trade up :) ). Well, never say never again. The new hobby started meeting the old one. So now I am working on a video about a faceters' meeting (Franklin Faceter's Frolic 3 if you must).

Back to old reliable for doing covers and titles, A:M.

My new hobby has a tool, GemCad for Windows, for doing design work on stones. And there are large libraries of stones around (including famous diamonds). I noticed that it will export dxf files. Yippy! Well, not too fast. The plug-in import is a little clunky. But if I import into ####### and then export from there as 3DS and import, I have something to work with. A bit of cleanup (like the font extruder sometimes requires) and presto. Attached is a 161 facet Portuguese cut model.

Oh, and if anyone has materials for ruby, emerald, or other gemstones, I would love to know. I have not yet figured out how to do refractive index, dispersion, and birefringence in a material. And if you are curious there, here is a table of common gems and there material properties.

http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/gem_des...properties.html

Thanks

George Ellis

Portuguese2.mdl

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty slick model and very nice conversion.

Another option is to convert the dxf to obj and import it as a prop. You can apply AM materials to props. I recently had to render out an stl for yag laser engraving which had around 22,000 faces and it renders very fast. Downside of props is you need to have 1 prop per material since it sees the whole prop as a single object.

• Hash Fellow

Welcome back!

Oh, and if anyone has materials for ruby, emerald, or other gemstones, I would love to know. I have not yet figured out how to do refractive index, dispersion, and birefringence in a material.

Turning on "Caustics" in an AO render is what you want I think.

"Dispersion" can be simulated with a multipass technique

"birefringence"? I just read the Wikipedia article on that... i thing some sort of compositing or multipass trick is in order there too.

My experience is that things like refraction are best when adjusted for end result rather than a "correct" value.