Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Guitar Constraints

I have a very simple stick figure in which I installed the skeletal rig from the cd.

I asked a question a few weeks ago about constraints and carrying boxes. This is slightly different.

My little figure is going to mime, air guitar style, while holding a broom.

What would be the best constraints system to set up so he can swirl the broom around ' a playin a guitar?'.

He needs to be able to swing it side to side, behind the his own neck, and side to side , like elvis ... Pete Townshend, Jimi, Jimmy Page, George Harrison...

Thank you in advance

regards

simon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
My little figure is going to mime, air guitar style, while holding a broom.

What would be the best constraints system to set up so he can swirl the broom around ' a playin a guitar?'.

He needs to be able to swing it side to side, behind the his own neck, and side to side , like elvis ... Pete Townshend, Jimi, Jimmy Page, George Harrison...

Elvis did that with a guitar?

If he's going to hold it with two hands and not really try to strum it, I'd set both arms to IK and constrain the hands to the broom, then animate the broom into the poses you want. The hands will follow.

Yes, if you create a bone which extends from your characters neck, (the point where the guitar swivels on the guitar strap when fully extended), and which finishes at the body of guitar you can constrain the guitar to that bone which will allow it to rotate around the neck. (This pivot bone can be moved around to suit your characters body shape and guitar moves). You then constrain your character's hands to the guitar neck, as Robert said, and let IK do most of the work. Many complex moves may require different approaches so you may have to use different setups for different sequences.

This is not the only way....or the best way.....But its the way I would do it:

1.Make the Broom/Guitar part of the model. Copy and paste it there....then move it to a position suitable.

2.Create a new bone....for the broom/ guitar (bone1) with the bones base at the area of where the "Pic" hand will strum......

3.Make sure the above bone is parented to the lower Back bone or hips....This way it will move with the body and yet you can also move it independently as well.

4.place a second bone(Bone2) at the neck of the Broom. Parent this to Bone1 so it will move with the broom but also move up and down the neck.

5.With your characters "Fret" hand set to IK(inverse Kenamatics)....constrain it to the Bone2(neck) with a "translate to" constraint.

6.Then you can slide Bone2 and control the hand...while at the same time the guitars movement will.

**Steps 5 & 6 need to be done in a pose or action....

This is at least a start....You can add a bunch more detail.... Hope that helps some.

I've taken a stab at this several times. My initial thought... 'bone-up' on your constraints...ie orient-like, translate-to, path, aim at. HERE...I found a link of a sample... no Jimi or Townshend... but Richards and Wood:

Like playing guitar, you might want to start-off with a more simple-less ambitious idea, like simple strumming with one hand while changing chords with the other. Reminds me of an incident 'back in the day' when a young feller came to my house and took a guitar off the wall and started doing some Stevie Ray 'swingarounds' and proclaimed "I should be a guitar player player because I can really do some tricks with these things!"...and then -WHAMMO! the guitar lay in pieces on the floor... the kid never even considered that you need to do some things with the strings.

AND--- What are you throwing Harrison in there for? He just stood there and picked! The Beatles themselves were embarrassed by their total lack of showmanship... that's why their shows lasted a whopping 30 minutes.

AND--- What are you throwing Harrison in there for? He just stood there and picked! The Beatles themselves were embarrassed by their total lack of showmanship... that's why their shows lasted a whopping 30 minutes.

Harrison... because he just stood there with the guitar high up on the chest, playing terrific rifs ( daytripper ) and it was a contrast to all the othes !

simon

Elvis did that with a guitar?

If he's going to hold it with two hands and not really try to strum it, I'd set both arms to IK and constrain the hands to the broom, then animate the broom into the poses you want. The hands will follow.

Rob

Thanks for the reply.

I started to try that method and will refine it this afternoon. Thank you.

Elvis did the bump and grind routines and they contrast with the otther ones...

regards

simon

Reminds me of an incident 'back in the day' when a young feller came to my house and took a guitar off the wall and started doing some Stevie Ray 'swingarounds' and proclaimed "I should be a guitar player player because I can really do some tricks with these things!"...and then -WHAMMO! the guitar lay in pieces on the floor... the kid never even considered that you need to do some things with the strings.

For my sins I teach guitar to youngsters when I can. The attitude you report is not uncommon. I blame the "guitar hero" games for this generation but...

When I was in school, many years ago, one of my contemporaries was notorious for playing in his bedroom with the curtains closed and his shadow on the curtains, but the sound being the record or tape turned up LOUD !

Ah schooldays !

cheers

simon

Here is a very rough example of a simple guitar rig. Obviously you would still have to tweak the poses and add all the finger animation. This just demonstrates a simple rig that you control with the guitar bone, the pivot bone and a few sliders. The pivot bone is the root and should be constrained to your character's chest bone, or where ever you like. The left lower arm bone of your character should have a kinematic constraint to the GuitarNeckSlider bone. The right upper arm, (elbow), should have an "aim at" constraint which aims at the elbow connector on the guitar. You animate the hands and the lower right arm yourself.

post-183-1275584935_thumb.jpg

TestInAction.mov

SimpleGuitarRig.zip

HERE's a trick I used for the left hand's 'up and down the neck' action. Constrain your characters left hand to one of the many splines running up and down the neck of the guitar with a PATH constraint. Now, you can easily have the hand slide up and down by keyframing the 'ease' setting...add to that some poses for the hand which pose it in common 'bar-chord' positions and you are in bizzzzz!

DISCLAIMER: If you are doing a Jimi Hendrix character...substitute the word 'left' with the word 'right' in the above paragraph.