Hash, Inc. Forums

THE GRAND MECHAJOUST

After a long time, I came back to a project of mine , that I had left , when I run into

too many difficulties.

So now I did some more tests for it with very promising results, since AM or better me with AM are now capable to render even

Full-HD sizes in a reasonable amount of time.

I am still not sure, if I should go with a toony "Manga/Anime" style or go for a 3D look.

Tending more to the later at the moment , while at the same time not wanting to do that much texturing work, I am testing procedural textures (materials)

and fake rim light for gaining a "non nude" 3Dlook .

critics welcome...

SupaSumoFull_HD.jpg

SumoSpeedlinesToon.mov

SumoSmallDark01.mov

I like it Jost! I think it could benefit from something that gave the impression of movement on the characters as they fly a little more though...like a fluttering banner/scarf/whatever. The speed lines do some of that, but I'm thinking that a human character would have some movement in their hair or something, which, robots wouldn't have.

Good luck on the project!

>I think it could benefit from something that gave the impression of movement on the characters as they fly a little more though...like a fluttering banner/scarf/whatever. The speed lines do some of that, but I'm thinking that a human character would have some movement in their hair or something, which, robots wouldn't have.

Maybe some Swoosh like stuff, that trail swords in games could bring the proper effect.

>I think it could benefit from something that gave the impression of movement on the characters as they fly a little more though...like a fluttering banner/scarf/whatever. The speed lines do some of that, but I'm thinking that a human character would have some movement in their hair or something, which, robots wouldn't have.

Maybe some Swoosh like stuff, that trail swords in games could bring the proper effect.

Whiz lines like the "Road Runner"...that would do the trick, I'm thinking.

If you are compositing layers you could render your animations with alpha and then create a Photoshop action to generate a sequence where all the coloured pixels are turned to white, or blurred and streaked. This image sequence could be composited behind your colour sequence, offset on a dynamic bone and treated to further effects if necessary. This would create a simple jetstream effect.

I like both styles.

The first thing I notices is the stars do not move in the background.

Maybe if the star field went by with different stars moving at different speeds so some look close and some farther away would add some feeling of movement.

Like the bots a lot.

• Hash Fellow

Those are looking good.

I think it could benefit from something that gave the impression of movement on the characters as they fly a little more though

I agree. In the absence of scarve or capes or hair, a fundamental thing to do would be to pose them like they are moving forward fast. Have them grabbing the hand rail and leaning forward or... being pulled back.

Anything but straight up and down.

>The first thing I notices is the stars do not move in the background.

Maybe if the star field went by with different stars moving at different speeds so some look close and some farther away would add some feeling of movement.

(Maybe I could add some watching marines in the foreground, that would give a feeling for size also)

But I couldnT loop the movie then anymore...

to animate it in the chor.

Havent done any compositing yet , though I have Magix Video Deluxe, I still have to get aquainted with all its features.

The jousting field with spaceships, mechas and humans,

all modeled scale to lifesize and put together in chor.

I was very pleasantly surprised that AM renders all that without complaining even in full hd.

The scales of the round artefact in the back is really huge as you can see

from the sideview.

MechajoustSide.png

JoustingfieldA.png

JoustingfieldB.png

JoustingfieldC.png

JoustingfieldD.png

PlatformTotaleSmall.mov

You are completely right.

This was merely a simple test, if such a huge chor (file- and scalewise) would render properly at all

(and of the overall looks)

At the moment I am struggeling to add more then one constraint to an object,

so there may be some limitations in the further handling of the chor....

this is reacting to the first image on the thread, nice work, the redwhite one in the foreground especially so.

an animator's answer to achieving motion is by looking at the body. even with robots as subjects, check if your story allows you to use their balance as a source of dynamics. the redwhite one is very compact and sturdy but the taller thinner ones could portray speed by posing their bodies "against the wind". really small changes might do the trick.

as to the other images, maybe you're developing a 3Dmingled manga style of your own?