Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Assembling Large Scale Models

jason1025

I am modeling a room but I am adding lots of other elements that will animate and models that have been created independatly. I am getting frustrated because when I add them into the room I loose stuff like bone position.

WHat is the best method to proceed on large scale things with lots of elements and animation?

I am assuming adding everything into one model is the worst procedure.

Do I add everything in an action?

Do I add everything in a chor?

WHat are the advantages and disadvantage?

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you putting them now? I would put them into a chor. It will save you a lot of time too. When models get too big they take a long time to re-draw.

Bone position is relative to each model. But if you import them into a chor, they should retain their relative positions.

If you're changing bone positions in an action and then importing the model into a chor without turning the action on, then you will lose the bone positions you created in the action. Be sure to import the action into the appropriate model and turn it on in the pose slider window. Hope that helps.

Doug

I have found that it is best to assemble sets in an action - with those elements that are static - ie won't eventually be moving in the chor.

For example, if you will be moving the apples in the bowl (someone picks it up - eats it) - then those should be added in the chor - they will be easier to get ahold of and animate.

But the bowl (if doesn't move) could be assembled with the table, chairs, walls, etc in an action as action objects. And then that action is added to the chor.

You could add everything into the chor (without making an action) - but a set assembled in an action can be reused in multiple chors.

I have found that it is best to assemble sets in an action - with those elements that are static - ie won't eventually be moving in the chor.

For example, if you will be moving the apples in the bowl (someone picks it up - eats it) - then those should be added in the chor - they will be easier to get ahold of and animate.

But the bowl (if doesn't move) could be assembled with the table, chairs, walls, etc in an action as action objects. And then that action is added to the chor.

You could add everything into the chor (without making an action) - but a set assembled in an action can be reused in multiple chors.

Thanks Nancy

one quick question

AM I correct that when combining most models, rather than copy past one model into another you would combine them with an action or chor based on your description above?

AM I correct that when combining most models, rather than copy past one model into another you would combine them with an action or chor based on your description above?

One usually assembles sets or high patch count models in an action or in the chor when the patch count for a model starts to get too high to comfortably work with in modeling mode. So it depends on your patience level. The slow down in response for adding new splines to a model starts becoming noticeably draggy around 10-15,000 patches.

Yes the slow down happens with copy and paste as well.

One usually assembles sets or high patch count models in an action or in the chor when the patch count for a model starts to get too high to comfortably work with in modeling mode. So it depends on your patience level. The slow down in response for adding new splines to a model starts becoming noticeably draggy around 10-15,000 patches.

Yes the slow down happens with copy and paste as well.

Thanks for the info folks.

• 5 weeks later...