sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Transparent Decaling

Masna

Hey everyone,

I've been doing a lot of playing around with decals but theres one reoccurring problem. I can't seem to apply a transparent decal (lets say I have a circle decal I want to apply to grid. I want the decaled circle to be white and the diffuse color of the grid to be green. I want the circle to be applied as a decal but still have the green on the grid evident.) I'm using photo shop elements so this question isn't completely related to A:M.

Thanks for the help,

Masna

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I use photoshop elements as well - it's not quite so alpha channel friendly as photoshop, but it works for my little projects.

1. Create a new blank file in PSE

2. Create a new layer.

3. Delete the background. - Now you just have one transparent layer.

4. Create a white circle using the shape tool (or brush paint your decal).

5. If you used the shape tool, or text, or another vector tool, right click the layer and click Simplify.

6. Control Click the layer thumbnail picture on the layer panel. - this creates a selection.

7. Click Select Menu > Save Selection

8. Name the selection and click OK.

9. Click File Menu > Save As and save as 32 bit tga file.

Import into A:M, drag onto the model as a decal, and the transparent area should show the model's diffuse colour through it.