Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

More online Demos (Please Help with DL times)

Guest Greg

Guest Greg

Hello to my A:M friends . . .

I just wanted to post these links to my new experiments with online demos using Flash as a player.

After you click on these links, could you please respond with how much time it took for the demo to start playing.

Also, if you could please mention your OS and browser.

Thank you in advance . . . and here are the links:

http://www.rostamimagic.com/amcloth/amcloth.html

http://www.rostamimagic.com/amdemo/amdemo.html

all the best,

Greg Rostami

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

12 seconds from click of link to first image on the Cloth Tutorial.

I'm on a wireless network connected to broadband browsing with IE Explorer on a XP Home machine.

5 seconds to first still image on second demo. voice kicked in about 2 seconds later with the demo.

Great updates there Greg! :)

As a side note: I don't know if everyone else is getting the same but the audio seems to fall behind the lipsync and is rather noticeable in the Blit Wizbok (Alien Song) sequences.

Edited by Rodney

XP Pro under IE on DSL

About 5-7 seconds for the first image to show on the cloth demo.

Under 5 seconds for the A:M Demo to start. I would however recommend you set it to cache more as those first frames that are flashing by really eat up bandwidth and make it choppy. I had to pause it for about 10 seconds, then let it play to get rid of the choppiness.

Great demos! Cheers!

Guest Greg

Thanks guys . . . keep those stats coming, they are very helpful.

BTW . . . the audio sync problem is inherent with the FLV file format when it comes to longer content. If anyone has a solution to this problem I would love to hear about it.

Greg

Greg,

It took 12 seconds for me for the cloth sim to open. As it started playing, it was stuttering so I pressed stop and waited a few minutes for it to load ahead. It then played fine.

It took 5 seconds for the "demo" demo to load the opening screen. it did not play right away, but after a few additional seconds, I started it by pressing the play button. it started playing, but stutteringly. so I waited for it to load more.

I'm on a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4, MS I.E explorer 6, Windows xp home sp 2, on slow DSL (256)

And Greg, I love how you can make running AM appear so easy! It really is like the magic you do! When you get behind the keyboard, magic happens!

Thanks for the vids!

Nice demos. You do make it look easy. Now I want to go home and try out cloth!

4 seconds for the cloth demo

3 seconds for the AM demo

XP Pro, Explorer 6.0, T1 (at work).

I'll add the times from my cable connection when I get home.

Paula

Guest Greg

Once again guys,

Thank you for your participation. Some of you that are reporting 1 to 2 seconds really put a smile on my face . . . I get the same times on my machine at home, but I have a fast Cable connection. I have a friend in Russia that reported 3 seconds for both videos . . . WOW!!

Here is my new A:M Demo, this one is a little higher res, but most importantly DOUBLE the frame-rate:

http://www.rostamimagic.com/amdemo2/amdemo2.html

I would like to share with you why I'm doing these tests.

I'm looking for the ideal balance between resolution, frame-rate, bandwidth, quality of audio & video, bit-depth, and "start speed".

Over the last few days, I've done LOTS of experiments with the various codecs that Flash video offers.

I'm sure you've noticed that the resolution of the videos are 800x600. This is for a couple of reasons:

1. At that resolution most monitors, with the GUI of the browser, can comfortably show both the video and the video controls.

2. Also, at that resolution, most computers today can maintain a frame-rate of 30 fps. Remember A:M is an Animation program where a LOT of the interface is changing DRASTICALLY from frame to frame, hence it's a little harder balancing these variables for high frame rates.

3. 800x600 is a good enough resolution where one can comfortably READ the small fonts on the screen.

Considering these variables along with a few tricks to make the video start that fast, we can almost reach the NIRVANA of online video presentations that everyone can enjoy. Remember, all of this SPEED is happening WITHOUT a dedicated fast server . . . :o

Greg Rostami

P.S. The file size of my latest A:M Demo (amdemo2) is 1/2 of my previous WMV demo . . . even though it's higher res, higher frame rate, and it plays on everyone's browser. :)

P.P.S. I've discovered the secret of making the audio stay in SYNC . . . stay tuned . . .

I found this one took longer to load than the first one. About 12 seconds. Still acceptable for me....

Yeah, I guess you could just start the audio before the images so then when viewed on the web, they'd be in sync.

ka-ching! These demos are going to sell some PRODUCT!

The cloth demo started quick. Great demo! The only thing you didn't show was how you got the flag to 'adhere' to the pole. Can't touch on everything, but thats the part I'm learning right now and wanted to see.

When it comes to demos....Greg, you are DA MAN!

• Admin
P.P.S. I've discovered the secret of making the audio stay in SYNC . . . stay tuned . . .

Ohoh... Greg Rostami demos in sync... this gonna be dangerous! :)

*Don't forget to tell us the secret.

Wow Greg, wish I had this connection at home.. loaded instantly here at work.. and continued to play thru without stopping to catch up!

Look forward to the synched sound.. It's really noticable for me in the alien song "mov" and the "building of" segments.

I think this is a T1 connection. BTW