Hash, Inc. Forums

WIP: GAIL Female Android [SLIGHT NUDITY]

I am currently working on a pin-up for a Heavy Metal style magzine in the UK called "Event Horizon" from Mamtor Press. It's got great work from Liam Sharpe, Glen Fabry, Steve Niles, Brian Holguin, Ash Wood, and many others.

I am working on a female android called Gail from one of the prose stories in the book. She's a sex android that gains awareness and uses her "talents" as a spy and a thief.

Definately not one for the kiddies.

Here is a WIP of the progress so far. I am tweaking the clothes and next up is a totally different hairstlye and more texture mapping (more seams like in her legs, and android things so she's not so human)

Based on the Lambrina model with heavy tweaking, v11.1 on my Powerbook G4 and Radiosity rendered.

So, let me know what you think.

GAIL_LatextestRAD0.jpg

- pjc

The skin textures are from photo maps of a model named Simone. Tweaked in Photoshop and massaged in my new favorite tool, the UV Editor!

So far, my favorite part was modeling the zipper for the pants. Something so simple, yet is very satisfying when I render it.

I'll post some close-ups soon.

- pjc

Guest jandals

Looking good. I'd be interested in seeing wireframes of the ankles and hands. I'm also curious about how you did her clothes; it doesn't look like they're decal-ed on so I wonder how much or her torso you modeled.

Not much criticism to offer. I like the apparent detail in her face (from here it looks like lots of good texturing). The highlites on her Chest Apparatus are a little too extreme. They look too "clean." The legs have good shape; it might look like unnatural creasing at the ankles but I like the way it looks. Someone's foot might not actually be shaped that way but it makes things flow.

Cheers,

Rhett

HEY! Lovely and sexy android...

About the magazine - you do have some very heavy company there... as aspiring comics artist I am very envious!

I think that now you owe us some wireframes... and few sexy poses when rigged ;D

Great work!

Drvarceto

HEY! Lovely and sexy android...

About the magazine - you do have some very heavy company there... as aspiring comics artist I am very envious!

I think that now you owe us some wireframes... and few sexy poses when rigged ;D

Great work!

Drvarceto

Let me tell you, I was quite surprised when they asked me to do a pin-up for the second issue when I saw who was going to have stuff in there!

Here's some grabs : WARINIG!!! SOME 3D MODEL NUDITY BELOW

Body Wireframe [Like I said, this is based on the Lambrina model, so there shouldn't be too many surprises]

Gail-Shots1.gif

Clothing Shaded Mode All of the clothes are modeled and for right now are on top of the body model. I haven't chopped anything out just yet.

Gail-Shots3.jpg

Gail Face Close Up Shaded Mode I'm not too happy with the ear right now, will have to go in and fix it. It was great having awesome rotoscopes for this project. It made re-sculpting the face from Lambrina a piece of cake!

Gail-Shots4.jpg

Body Texture Mapping Shaded Mode Here is the model without her latex outfit. I need to fix some seams in the textures, but I didn't know how much skin was going to show, so I kinda quickly set it up and will tweak when I get all her clothes done...which is like right now...:P

Gail-Shots2.jpg

I am rendering some close-ups of the face and the pants so you can see some of the detail.

Next up after this is some sexy poses!

- pjc

Aghhhh! my eyes! a nekkid wireframe! No, an invisible woman! In hot pink vinyl....Oh wait, there she is.

ohhh...

Poor gal has no toes! Her ears.. whatsup with her ears? I know... maybe it's just shaded mode... but they look a bit like wrestlers ears (a little too much collagen in them?) they look puffy/thick. Even in the first render. Something not quite right about the "paunch" (I dunno what its called but its the "fatty part" above the pubic mound area). Looks like she has a very large zuchinni in there (oval oblong shape). Should look a bit more like a wider, flatter breast (for lack of a better verbal explanation)...

I did not know you had to spline eyelashes!

But don't listen to me! I really do like her... But I was trying to find what was "wrong" with her since you asked.

It's okay for a 'droid to have no toes. Since I don't know the whole story... I may be off base here... but seems to me that a 'droid trying to "pass", and use talents as a spy and a thief... should be believable as a human... needs toes, and slightly more feminine ears.

But toes or no, she can bring crackers to bed. Trying to think/speak like one who might read heavy metal sex droid stories, eh? So all these crits might be of no importance.

patrick, in all honesty, I hope I can someday show a comparable level of skill in my splining and charcter building... And I agree with brett on the splinage... very efficient, and the hands are beautiful too... I just had to correct my spelling so i edited

Charlie

Edited by oakchas

Guest jandals

It's always impressive to see such a clean and well-done model that has such a low spline count. I thought the same thing when Joe Williamson posted wireframes of the Huntress.

Anyways, from your first render I liked the face a lot so it was a surprise to see that you put less than half the number of splines I put into a face and there's a 3-spline intersection. I've still got lots to learn.

And the hands!! I can't figure out how you get such great shapes from so few splines. Do the fingers bend well?

Looking forward to the next post,

Rhett

Since you are doing it for a magazine, I would suggest you add more to her "style"

of her facial appearance. For example for the the specular of her lips , add some makeup (since it's a heavy metal magazine "goth-chick" style makeup is ideal but not too much goth, make the makeup match her costume) and if you can tweak the hairstyle to a more "cooler" style, just a bit randomness to the bangs, nothing too crazy, but none of those scruffy looking hairstyles.

It's just that her hairstyle is a little bit too "nerdy" for a heavy metal magazine in my opinion.

These are just a few adjustments that you have to make to add to the "style" of your already fine character.

Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work. :)

That first image has great skin. I thought it was a link to a net image! :D This looks like your finest work yet. Keep hacking away at her. I think the hair will make a big difference. Maybe even use AM hair?

Edit: Or maybe not if she's an android.

Edited by KenH

I wish I could take credit for the great modeling, but this model is based on the Lambrina model from the Hash CD. I just took my photo reference and resculpted to match my photo reference (other than the chest, because I wanted to keep the "unnatural" ones since she is a idealistic model)

With the timeline I had and the quality of the Lambrina model I decided to just alter Lambrina into "Gail". I have built my own human models in the past, but Lambrina is a great model.

Definately agree with the hair. That's top of my list for this weekend. In the story she has a white mohawk, and I plan to use A:M hair unless I start getting crazy render times with radiosity.

I don't like her ears, either. That's another spot I'm gonna work on soon.

No toes? Yep, no toes. And since she's in her platforms, I don't think I'll add them.

The fingers bend good. Great smart-skin.

And yeah, the pelvis is kinda weird, now that you mention it. I'll look into that.

- pjc

Guest jandals
And yeah, the pelvis is kinda weird, now that you mention it. I'll look into that.

I totally see the weirdness (the giant zuchinni) but I've seen a lot of anime-styled work exaggerate that area. It might fit the role if you're leaning towards a cyberpunk feel.

Started work on the Hair...still preliminary. Love the new grooming tools in A:M!!

Also continuing to tweak textures...now she has leg seams like a real android should :P

Oh, and now she has latex arm cover thingys. :D

GAIL with new face tatoo and Hair Mohawk

GAIL_LatextestRADthree0.jpg

GAIL's fancy leg seam

GAIL_LateXRADLEGSEAM0.jpg

More soon!

- pjc

he77, I'll forget about the funny looking thing she swallowed (mentioned earlier)!!!! whooda thunk about seams? Verry cool!

If she has enough of 'em she could do a "stand up" routine and unzip all her seams, makin a zzzzzip sound! (showing my age, but it was funny back when!)

neat stuff, pjc ...lookin' forward to more!

Charlie

whats a bump map?

See the image in Patricks post - thats a bump map. It's an image where white represents hills and black represents valleys and you can have the entire grey gradient in between.

When applied as a Decal (with Bump image type selected) it creates the illusion, when rendered, of hills and valleys on the surface of the model - ie bumps - hence the name.

Cheers

whats a bump map?

See the image in Patricks post - thats a bump map. It's an image where white represents hills and black represents valleys and you can have the entire grey gradient in between.

When applied as a Decal (with Bump image type selected) it creates the illusion, when rendered, of hills and valleys on the surface of the model - ie bumps - hence the name.

Cheers

Also, bump maps are just faking the look of actual bumps on the surface.

If I turn the leg to it's side a little more, you would notice that there is no real crease. It's just an less spline intensive way to make the model look like it has more detail than it has!

I have to get to tweaking some of the modeling (I gotta re-look at her pelvis area like you guys said), and get the "mange" look out of her mohawk, but when I got the seam texture, I was really having fun.

Now I wish that when you position a decal, you could rotate it as well as scale and move. I don't like having a pose that's just for rotating parts to match the straightness of the decal....or am I missing something?

- pjc

I second the motion! I agree, there has GOT to be a simpler way to add decals... although, come to think of it, I'm in 10.5 and haven't actually used the UV editor... Oh, and nice model!

-Zev

Hey Bill!

Thanks for the ears from me too... Just yesterday I realized that my character (which is wearing helmet, but is going to lose it during the movie) has no ears! He is going to get some next few days... :P

Drvarceto

UV tute:

UV tutorial

Got the ears in last night, but need to texture map (UV editor) and hook 'em in.

But having many issues with Hair right now on my Mac and v11.1h...going slow now. Might just make her bald (I don't want to have to do mapped geometry hair if I don't have to) if it doesn't start behaving.

Still have more seams to put in, more make up, and I might be covering the nipples with some sort of thing, don't know tho, but the weekend is coming up!

- pjc

Now I wish that when you position a decal, you could rotate it as well as scale and move. I don't like having a pose that's just for rotating parts to match the straightness of the decal....or am I missing something?

Maybe this wouldn't work for what you're doing, but you can roll the view so the geometry rotates in relation to the decal... hold down the Control (or Command, I think, for us Macophiles) key when "T"urning.

Got a little time to work this weekend...

Got some great hair going for the mohawk, but it seems Hair and Radiosity don't like each other too much...so I set it aside for the time and finished almost all of the texturing, and started on updating the Smart Skin for the clothes.

Here's a new picture, with a different lighting rig for Radiosity (instead of one Klieg at 180 and 4 shadows I have 9 in a grid shooting 1 shadow) and a REAL QUICK POSE (not the final pose in the least, just something to get her out of the JC pose). Will have to get some closeups of the new tatoos, I have a bump map on them that makes them look recessed and it's pretty cool.

Here you go:

GAIL: NEW RADIOSITY TEST

GAIL_LatextestRADfive0.jpg

- pjc

She's lookin' great! But you tore her left boot to give me something to critique, right?

Okay, I don't know how much she weighs... but if shipping costs aren't too high... I would take 2 or three... I think I can book them in a local club... and if they don't talk yet, ah heck that's okay... they don't need to talk, long as they can move... the right way...

Now see here? you've got me thinking of that citibank ad about the guy building his prom date... "its a Girl robot! he he he..."

woh shes looking freaky! man all my robots are all metal and no emotions hehe.

im likeing the cloths they really fit her well and the new face textures and symbols look cool.

keep up the good work man

jay

yes, that works great, and I use that!

The process I've been doing is really easy and has worked just fine, and fits with my personal quirks.

1. I hide the geometry I don't want to see, and just view the general area of the patches that I want the decal on.

2. I then select all the patches that are visible and "Lock" them (VERY IMPORTANT SAFTEY FEATURE, for me at least)

3. I rotate the patches (usually writing down the x,y, and z co-ords) so that my map will line up as good as it can.

4. Then apply the map(s)

5. Rotate the patches back to where they were.

6. Unhide. (Safety feature of LOCKED points is used if I forget to do step 5 because I want to see the results on the whole model. I can then just select the patches if the rest of the model is locked)

7. Go into the UV editor and with another modeling window open, adjust the maps.

That's what I do.

I've tried TUMBLING the window and it's not bad (GAILS boob Tats were done that way) but most of the time with these seam maps, I wanted to mimic it EXACTLY on the other side (leg, arm) and with tumble I don't have as much control to get it exact, but I could just be stubborn.

I've done Poses, but I don't like having all those messy Poses and then deleting them... :lol:

That's what's cool about A:M, twenty different ways to do the same thing. Whatever works for ya!

- pjc

Yeah, been working on Smart Skin for the clothes, not much to show other than fixing a lot of clothing...that and I was at the San Diego Comic Con as well.

I did give up on the particle Hair for now. I was having good luck with Hair emitters, but it wasn't behaving with radiosity like I would like.

So, I started with some geometry based hair for her mohawk.

Gail Geometry Mohawk Wire

MohawkG_wire.jpg

Gail Geometry Mohawk QuickRender

MohawkG_ShiftQ.jpg

The tattoos are pretty much final, and I will do a close-up of them, they have a nice little bump-map on them.