Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The Art of Animation:Master

• Admin

Did you know you can get credit for completing the exercises in The Art of Animation:Master?

There are many benefits of certification. They include:

- Your very own personalized certificate

- Eligibility to work on Hash Inc's movie projects

- Qualification for the A:M Community's mentorship program

- Cool prizes! (For instance, you are automatically enrolled for a chance at a free upgrade *every* year)

- You learn with others while comparing notes along the way

- You'll have the benefit of knowing other TAoA:M Alumni that you can collaborate with in future projects

...all this and more!

So, what are you waiting for?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completing the Exercises

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When posting your exercise we'll need the following information:

Name:  (As you want it to appear on the certificate)

Exercise Completed:  (Example: Exercise 1)

Post the results of your work in the New Users Forum under the specific exercise topic.

Date Completed:  (Self Explanatory)

Instructor:  (Optional)

This is for classes taught through schools or outside the A:M Forum by an instructor.

Please credit your instructor as this might prove beneficial to them.

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:  (Optional but appreciated)

Other than posting here in the forum you can send offline information and questions to:

rodney.baker@gmail.com.

Standard Disclaimer:

No official endorsement by Hash Inc is intended nor should be implied. The value of certification is directly porportional to the experience gained by completing the exercises. DO NOT SEND CERTIFICATE RELATED EMAIL TO HASH INC. Send it to rodney.baker@gmail.com :)

Certificate images are subject to change without notice.

Please note: Your moderator and others in the forum volunteer their time to aid in your enjoyment and usage of Animation:Master. There may be times when they cannot respond to your queries. But ask around... that's not very likely. If you want a response... please ask.

Everyone is invited to participate in the process whether completing the exercises or helping others to work through them. One of the best ways to learn animation is to teach your new skills to others.

Last but not least... Have Fun! :)

Click here to begin with Exercise 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Art of Animation:Master

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Art of Animation Master Part I: Animation

ANYONE CAN ANIMATE

1 - You're the Director

2 - A Chorus Line

3 - Move It

4 - It's a Pitch

5 - Take a Walk

6 - The Door's Stuck

7 - Can You Say That?

The Art of Animation Master Part II: Modeling

MODELING TAKES TALENT

8 - Customized Car

9 - Flower Power

10 - FW-190 Fighter

11 - Giraffe (No available video tutorial)

12 - Lip Poses

13 - Show Some Backbone (Adding a Skeleton)

The Art of Animation Master Part III: Technical Directors Training

TECHNICAL DIRECTORS TRAINING

14 - Playing Marble (Materials)

15 - Eat My Dust (Volumetrics)

16 - Smoke, Wind, and Fire (Particles)

17 - Cosmic Bowling (Dynamics)

18 - Waving the Flag (Cloth)

19 - Flying South (Flocks)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ONLINE/ELECTRONIC MANUAL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hash Inc released the current edition of The Art of Animation:Master this year.

You can find the PDF manual and files associated with new/updated exercises on the Hash Inc FTP site:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/Am2005/2005Manual.pdf 24.6MB

For some of the newer exercises you'll want to download the project data that goes with the exercise:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/Am...wManualData.zip 5.1MB

Of specific interest to older A:M Users will be two new exercises:

Exercise 11.5: Make a Face - Colin Freeman's Cooper Face building tutorial.

Exercise 20: It's Getting a Bit Hairy - Kevin Waldron's Wookie Hair tutorial

Exercise 16: Smoke, Wind and Fire has also been rewritten with a focus on Particle Sprites

Note: To copy these files to your harddrive [Right Click] on the above links and select "Save Target As".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There have been several versions of The Art of Animation:Master.

There are also several editions available in other languages.

Languages:

There are both Japanese and Spanish versions of The Art of Animation:Master available. Look for them via the Hash FTP and Artware (Japan) sites.

Here is where they can currently be located via FTP:

Spanish and Japanese Art of Animation:Master Manuals

Notes on foreign language editions:

- The Japanese edition is quite different in both format and content. Although very little information is added... much is removed.

Spanish

- The Spanish edition (on the Hash Inc FTP) is largely a straightforward translation from english to spanish.

And check out these!

Resources for A:M in Spanish post-7-1097519707.jpg *This site is so cool I wish I spoke Spanish! Lots of videos converted too. :)

- The French translation seems to be password protected but several tutorials from it are freely available. I'd imagine all it would take to get access to the full French edition of TAOA:M would be an email to the author stating your request for access. Find these here: French translation

*A special thanks to those who contributed their time and talent to translate. Arigato and Gracias!

Uploading files/attachments

How to screen capture and upload images to the A:M Forum

Edited by Rodney

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

gradharysm.gif

Congrats to Paula Waslen, the most recent graduate of TAoA:M! Woo Hoo! :)

For demonstated skill in modeling, animation and technical direction...

I proudly present to you your certificate. You'll find it attached to this post.

You deserve extra praise as you worked through the exericises with little help and only occasional encouragement from me while I was out of town. In short, you did it all yourself!

I hope you continue to apply what you've learned toward the goals you've long set for yourself. You'll get there!

Before you reach that goal of applying animation to your already formidable skills in science, biology and nutrition I hope to see you exercise your skills in some of the following:

- Hash Inc's monthly image and periodic animation contests

- The Animation Bootcamps (I know you've previously stated your interest in these!)

- Journeyman (Mentorship) Project

- Community Projects in the Forum

... and much much more.

Please let me know if you need any changes to the certificate.

The Best of All things in all your future endeavors! :)

PaulaWaslen.pdf

Thanks Rodney! It was a lot of fun and the only reason I didn't need too much help was because I am not completely new....I have been playing with it for a few years now. I really want to participate in the Oz movie and I thought this might help. I learned lots of new things and I'm ready to move on to the boot camps!

Thank you very much for your dedication to the New Users forum and for making the certification possible!

P.S. I thought you were suppose to still be on holidays!? Just can't stay away can ya!

• Admin

You are most welcome Paula.

I took a weeks vacation to visit my side of the family and now I'm back at work for this week. Next week its off to Japan to visit my wife's side of the family. If all goes well the trip will end in Los Angeles with family fun in Disneyland and a visit to SIGGRAPH 2005 to meet the Hash Inc crew and people I've only met on the internet.

Being an international family can be great but mostly its just expensive. ;)

• 2 months later...

Rodney - Martin did this to you! My goal is to work on the plants of TWO. In order to do that I have to first pass your gauntlet. If you always thought that there was no such thing as a stupid question, I will be the one to challenge your sensibilities!

p.s. Are the exercises in the v12 TAO:AM the same as what is being discussed here?

Bill

Bill TAoAM is currently in two flavours - the shipped manual and the pdf download.

The pdf download has 2 additional exercises - a face to model and cloth (v12 only).

On here so far we have just used the shipped manual in order to gain the certificate.

• Admin

What Barkest said with this added:

Since the majority of A:M Users do not have the v12 Manual the extra Exercises are recommended but not required at this time.

If you always thought that there was no such thing as a stupid question, I will be the one to challenge your sensibilities!

I used to say "There is no such thing as a stupid question" but the military showed me that isn't necessarily the case. ;)

But... bring it on! Its great to have you. :)

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...