Hash, Inc. Forums

Character test

Here is this afternoons work on one of a series of characters being developed ( working title of Blockheads ). The style of figure may be recognised ?

Any feedback would be welcome, good, bad or please don't bother us again.

I've still not learned how to smartskin so that will be the next stage.

Points for spotting the sound clip source but, alas, no prizes. ( it was free... ).

Thank you in advance for any comments.

regards

simonTest.mov

• Hash Fellow

hmmm... it sounds like Barney Rubble a bit, but it doesn't sound like something from the Flintstones. Is it some other Mel Blanc voice?

On Smartskin.. there is some coverage of that in TAoA:M , I forget which chapter. I think a fan bone at each joint might be simpler, however.

A note about body mechanics... the natural inclination of the torso is for the top and bottom to act as opposite ends of a lever. If the top (the head and shoulders) goes left, the bottom (hips) go right to balance. If the top goes forward, the bottom goes back to balance. Part of the reason is that the torso is a huge mass that is difficult to move all in one direction at once. Also, because it is a huge mass we tend to keep it centered over our support point on the ground, the feet.

Anther useful trick is to dip the hips slightly as they are traveling from one destination to another.

Also... feet will look more natural if they are not both pointed straight ahead. The natural tendency is to point them out a bit.

• Hash Fellow

Another well-worn animation tip is to avoid symmetrical gestures with the arms and hands. It tends to look stiff and rigid.

Humans do it quite a bit but good actors generally don't.

If you give one hand a prop to hold like a cup of coffee or a briefcase or have it resting on another surface it's easier think of poses that don't involve symmetrical gesturing with the arms.

Another well-worn animation tip is to avoid symmetrical gestures with the arms and hands. It tends to look stiff and rigid.

Humans do it quite a bit but good actors generally don't.

If you give one hand a prop to hold like a cup of coffee or a briefcase or have it resting on another surface it's easier think of poses that don't involve symmetrical gesturing with the arms.

Revised_Test.mov

Rob

Thank you for your comments. I have revised it this afternoon ( UK time ). I was concious of twinning before , but not enough, so have changed that and a few other bits.

I did try the flower tutorial in TAOAM for the smartskin but ( in my foolishness), could not apply it to my figure. Do you know of a good tute on applying to an animated figure I could reference ?

regards

Simon

• Hash Fellow
Revised_Test.mov

Rob

Thank you for your comments. I have revised it this afternoon ( UK time ). I was concious of twinning before , but not enough, so have changed that and a few other bits.

I actually liked the 3/4 view you had before better. Facing him straight into the camera is very flat.

On the arms... still too busy. One tactic might be to put one hand on a hip and only gesture with the other one until you go to fold both arms together.

I'm not sure what the line is... "I repeat, sir, where is the breeze?"

I did try the flower tutorial in TAOAM for the smartskin but ( in my foolishness), could not apply it to my figure. Do you know of a good tute on applying to an animated figure I could reference ?

here's one - another terrific tutu from Holmes on Smartskin

Nancy

Thank you very much for that. I shall try it this afternoon.

regards

simon

I'm not sure what the line is... "I repeat, sir, where is the breeze?"

Rob

Thank you for the comments. I've included a 3/4 view with this reply. I had tried to put a couple of holds in but, am still finding how to do that effectively. I think it might be best to try a longer duration piece?

Regards

simon

Revised_Test3_4.mov

The line is

" I repeat Sir, where's the goodies ? "

I'm guessing Yogi had an empty picnic basket...

• Hash Fellow

Holds are easy to do.

Force a key on all the relevant bones at the start of the hold, then copy and paste those keys at the time where the hold would end.

If the keys are zero sloped the hold will be absolutely still, which you probably wouldn't want in finished animation.

To make a "moving hold" you typically adjust some of the keys at the start of the hold so that they haven't quite reached their destination and instead nudge into it over the time of the hold.

Good moving holds are tricky to do, and if you are still in the blocking stage it's pragmatic to leave them non-moving until you've ascertained you like all your acting choices and are ready to polish.

Rob

Thank you for that. I will eventually get involved with f curves but that will be someway in the future. I'm developing the stick figures and the story ideas to go with them, while trying to catch up with the things I should have learned before...

Its fun though.

regards

simon