Hash, Inc. Forums

18 F glitches ?

I got a one year subscription to 18 F last friday and have been using it over the weekend. I wondered if anyone else is have a few glitches with it ?

The first one I noticed was that it crashed out if the maximum resolution was used for the maps in a z buffer render ?

It came with a message saying Memory allocation failute 11 ( I think )

If a lower z buffer was chosen it was OK. but the maximum crashed each time it was tried.

The second glitch came when trying to "save animation as" after rendering a sequence.

The dialogue box would appear but non of the buttons woulld respond when clicked on.

Tried exiting the program, restarting, importing sequence and trying again, but to no avail.

Have just spent the afternoon setting up the next scene but, when I started to do some render tests the time shot through the roof on quick render and, when trying to render to file it crashes after a few seconds.

It could easdily be me doing something foolish but is anyone else having similar troubles ?

OSX 10-68 so not a mavericks problem.

simon

Ips

I did copy the crash report that Apple made if thats any help ?

Update.

Just tried to replicate the z buffer problem. No luck, so that was probably me. Apologies.

Curiouser and curuioser,

Two hours ago I tried to render this scene, with the same settings, and stopped the render when the calculations in the panel, were heading up past 72 hours.

This one took about 5 mins.

The only difference, is that the parts of the model not in the view were hidden in this.

But, yesterday, the whole model was being used and the render times were approx 1:30 per frame?

simon

S3 F 000.png

Hi Simon
For me I found versions of 18 after "b" not worth the hassle of constant crashing. Unless of course there is some specific feature in "f" that you need.
Last version of 17 was OK for general working and I was just using 18 for rendering as it has On Screen Ambient Occlusion. Though as you seem to do mostly Toon renders I'm not sure how useful OSAO is to you.
Then of course there is the general curse of Mac A:M and Nvidia graphics cards in all versions, namely that of screwing up the display of images used for decals etc…
I believe you once said you have a Mac Mini, which from an A:M point of view, is fortuitous as it uses ATI graphics cards if memory serves not Nvidia.

Your dialog box problem is, 99% of the time for me, fixed by going to another app and then back to A:M again to wakeup those dormant buttons. Strange that didn't work for you this time?

I believe the problem with 18 is a video card based GPU thing. Update drivers and keep latest V17 handy until a fix happens... or maybe V18B as Mark suggests... I haven't tried that yet. For me 18 crashes very easily... just apply a decal and whammo!

Mark. Mat, Robert

Thank you for your replies and help.

I am using 18F simply because thats the one that came when I got the subscription but, will try to set up V17 later today.

Just as I was about to go to bed last night a different glitch occured.

Quit the program via the menu then just as it was closing, it crashed and a warning box, "Animation Master closed unexpectedly..." was displayed.

Re opened it again and it crashed immeadiately.

Have a very busy day today but will get back to it as soon as I can.

Mark

I bought a licence for V18 to use on the mini but the idea is to use that to render with the more involved setups while animating on the Imac next to it, and it is that which has been having the crashes. I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about the hardware side of things to know if thats what is causing the trouble.? Have had some trouble with graphics display and guess it might be caused by the things you suggest. Which version of V17 would you suggest ?

regards

simon

17g was the last of the v17 run of A:M. All versions have there quirks and bugs but in v17g they didn't get to much in the way of actually doing things.
But as each version of 18 came out I found I was getting more and more crashes as well as each having it's own additional quirks/bugs!
So as I say, for me, v17g for general working in and then one of the early versions of 18 for stetting up renders, then rendering using Netrender.
Do bear in mind that an A:M subscription licence will let you run any version back to v15 I think. The installers are all still available.