Hash, Inc. Forums

Correct Normals plugin crashes on 18g

• Admin

Here's a modified version of the chair that successfully went through the Correct Normals plugin.

Just prior to running the plugin I had removed all internal patches by using the Split Patch plugin.

I did have a similar issue with the Split Patch plugin that is possibly related to the same issue with internal patches.

Note that the resulting chair (attached) is a little more dense as I didn't take the time to go back in and delete all the unnecessary splines.

kitchen chair (no internal patches) after successful correct normals.mdl

• Hash Fellow

EDIT: I see Rodney beat me to it!...

Yup, I suspect Rodney is on the right track. The internal patches probably create an unsolvable dilemma for the plugin, since there is no way to flip them to agree with their neighbors.

Most of those internal patches could be avoided without any increase in mesh density by proper extrusion workflow.

They are not always a problem but by process of elimination it seems to be the board that makes the seat that IS a problem. If I remake it like this by adding two center splines all the internal patches are eliminated and the plugin survives. It also reports "Nothing to do!" but at least it doesn't crash. :)

kitchen chair seat.mdl

seat.JPG

• Hash Fellow

I suggest submitting just the original seat board and noting that the plugin crashes on it. It may not be possible for the plugin to solve the internal patches but a more graceful exit would be preferable. B)

• Admin

Yes, what Robert said.

Anything that makes A:M crash should be avoided and since Steffen is the creator of the plugin he is the one would will know best how to proceed.

I'm not sure how the plugin would test for internal patches but Steffen surely does.

I'm not sure if there is a option to select Plugins in A:M Reports but it would be nice to differentiate between crashes internal to A:M and those occurring in plugins.