Hash, Inc. Forums

Break Room

itsjustme

i like that a lot... looks so soft somehow. how long will this short be in the end?

Each one will be in the neighborhood of one to two minutes long...the first one will be closer to one minute, I'm thinking.

On my monitor that ceiling looks completely black. Possibly a few non-shadowing lights on the floor to simulate the bounce light would help?

Hmmm, I'm using a Huey to calibrate my monitor....maybe I need to check that. At the moment, the ceiling is dark, but not completely black on my monitor. Is it completely black for everyone?

Hmmm, I'm using a Huey to calibrate my monitor....maybe I need to check that. At the moment, the ceiling is dark, but not completely black on my monitor. Is it completely black for everyone?

Looks black to me except where the lights are.

I have a crt monitor (which may have aging problems in contrast and towards the dark end). The true proof is the histogram. I do not see the grid pattern at all. When I check the histogram, curves in photoshop, it looks like there is the spike where the lights are and then the rest of the ceiling is in the very dark range.

If I adjust the curves in PS then I can see the grid.

EDIT: added adjusted image from photoshop

breakroomceilinghistogram.jpg

ADJUSTEDPSbreak_room_lighting_test_10_26_2013_1080_color_test.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Here's the next version. I doubled the number of kliegs to make bounce lights at one inch off the floor (I wanted the bounces to match the visible lights) set for only diffuse lighting. I put color on the ceiling frame and ceiling tiles (a little less than absolute white) and removed the Ambiance applied to them previously. There is a smattering of texturing started...along with some materials that need to be fixed, so don't think those are rendering errors.

I increased the passes to 36, so with that and the added lights the render took two hours and fifty-four minutes.

break_room_lighting_test_10_27_2013_1080_color_test.png

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Admin

Very nice David!

I've been in rooms like that before.

(although definitely not as clean and not nearly as awesome)

At work we have a contracted crew devoted to waxing floors and they'd love it if they could strip the floors to such a degree as that.

Their job is little appreciated and... never done.

• 4 weeks later...

So somehow the interior of the dishwasher figures in your story. I am curious!

It's not central to the story, but the dishwasher will be opened.

My only suggestion, if you haven't given it any thought yet, would be to randomize the placement of the chairs and salt and pepper shakers as it looks too perfect.

The intent is to have the break room contrast the smoking area (which I'm going to dirty up quite a bit).

This is insanely cool detail work, and I like the 'slightly off-kilter' look to it... has a real 'corporate' feeling- curious about what the story will endup being. I see there was a gap in the dates of the timeline of about 1 year... did you back-burner and return to this project?

I see there was a gap in the dates of the timeline of about 1 year... did you back-burner and return to this project?

Life has gotten in the way quite a bit, but some of the delay is me. I'm going to make an effort to speed this up...I should have been done a long time ago.

• 9 years later...