Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

CP weights

Having learnt a lesson with the Teddy Bear now trying to CP weight his partner. It is a very long, tedious, involved process. Would it be possible to make a feature request ?I have read a few tutorials on how to do it but may have missed something ( ?)

The process appears to be that you select the cp's in muscle mode and then add %values to vary the weighting ?

Two factors make it a bit tedious for me,

1. When you select a bone in the dialogue window the same bone does not always show up the selection box below ( see screen shot ), so you then have to scroll through a long list to make sure the correct one is listed. That gets a bit tired after awhile.

bone_selection.png

2. When trying to adjust the weighting it is necessary to type in the values. With experience it might be possible to get it right quickly (?) but, if not, you have to guess and keep guessing until the desired result is achieved.

Might it be possible to have a dial or slider which allows you to vary the weight with the mouse or a keyboard button and see the result that way ?

Pardon me if I'm missing a feature here.

regards

simon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
The process appears to be that you select the cp's in muscle mode and then add %values to vary the weighting ?

Muscle mode if you are editing from a chor. In the Model window you'd select them from Model Mode.

Two factors make it a bit tedious for me,

1. When you select a bone in the dialogue window the same bone does not always show up the selection box below ( see screen shot ), so you then have to scroll through a long list to make sure the correct one is listed. That gets a bit tired after awhile.

The first time I tried it it didn't match up but i can't get it to do that again. There may be something wrong but I'd need to mess with it some more, there does seem to be some odd behavior going on.

2. When trying to adjust the weighting it is necessary to type in the values. With experience it might be possible to get it right quickly (?) but, if not, you have to guess and keep guessing until the desired result is achieved.

I always start with 50-50, but yes it is a matter of judgement and experimenting.

If you have a case that is quite baffling you might start a thread for it on the forum and we could look at it.

Might it be possible to have a dial or slider which allows you to vary the weight with the mouse or a keyboard button and see the result that way ?

We did talk about a slider system but it's not an available GUI tool in that window. On PC there are up and down buttons for that value but they only change it in 0.1 increments

Robert

Thank you as ever, for your reply.

The first time I tried it it didn't match up but i can't get it to do that again. There may be something wrong but I'd need to mess with it some more, there does seem to be some odd behavior going on.

Don't know if its a Mac glitch (?) but it always has been like that for me, each time I've tried it.

If you have a case that is quite baffling you might start a thread for it on the forum and we could look at it.

Thank you for the offer. I will bare it in mind. It is very time consuming but have to get the hang of it eventually..

We did talk about a slider system but it's not an available GUI tool in that window. On PC there are up and down buttons for that value but they only change it in 0.1 increments

I'll give that a go on the Mac. I did notice that, holding down the mouse button while moving it, varies the values but you have to click 'apply' before seeing the result ? I'm certainly glad it doesn't have to be done every day !

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow
I'll give that a go on the Mac. I did notice that, holding down the mouse button while moving it, varies the values but you have to click 'apply' before seeing the result ?

Hey, i learned something! I didn't know that was there. On PC there's about a two pixel space between the buttons you can click and drag on to slide the values. :D

Yes, you do have to press Apply for the number change to go through to the model.

• Hash Fellow

Simon, if you haven't seen my series on rigging Roger's Penguin legs you might give that a look. It may have some issues similar to your bear and it does some coverage of the use of the Weight editor

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=354005

(I think) you can assign a ring of points 100% to one bone, and a distant ring 100% to a different bone. Then select those rings and everything in between and EDIT CP WEIGHTS. That should show you those two bones+ whatever was in between (model bone?)--remove that bone/bones from the list, then BALANCE SELECTED. That should blend between the 2 bones.