Hash, Inc. Forums

Frame Burn

A long time ago, in a different thread it was explained how to use Frame burn as a post effect to get the timecode burned in at render time. I should have thought of it before but, I rendered a sequence overnight and now need to go back and correct the errors. Frame Burn would have helped in that.

Drat !

So it seemed it might be possible to do in a composite way by putting the renders on a layer and putting Frame Burn on those renders?

However, when looking at them the file name is there but not the 00:00:00 time code sequence. The post effect is active, applied in the render settings is there another step I'm missing ?

simon

Mark

Thank you for your reply.

I am rather embarrassed, not for the first, or last time I suspect. I was just about to delete the question because the answer became apparent. There's no cure for foolishness.

I'm working in 17G and, as you say, the numbers are very small and tucked away in the very corners. My excuse is that the file name was visible but, I was expecting the numbers to be in the same place. They are in the opposite corner ! Had looked there earlier but must have scrolled past too quickly.

Regards

simon

• Admin

The Font Scale (Font Size) of the Frame Burn may not be available on the Mac.

It is for the PC.

An alternative (which we probably should promote here in the community) is an overlay/rotoscope that simply stamps the frames with name/frame and whatever other info is required.

When Frame Burn moved from being a Camara setting to a Post Effect (circa v11?) it lost some of it's usefulness but the move was an good thing in that Post Effects could be more easily updated than coding camera attributes. Hash Inc wisely saw Frame Burn as a post effect and not something that needed to be built 'in camera.'

Having said that, 'real time' overlays could work even better. An overlay would work bettter *and* that overlay could personalize the whole thing and/or add elements that help categorize where the shot is in production. For example, if a lower thirds type overlay/roto were placed at the bottom of the frame it could

FontSize.jpg