Hash, Inc. Forums

A Dragon's Love Story

• *A:M User*
Don't do the dead-end spline right below the corner of the mouth. That will crease..

Continue it across the next patch and hook it or join it with it's mate from the other side.

:)

Yeah, I caught that and fixed it already. I'm getting some weird looks on the snout, though. Almost as if the points are peaked, but they're not.

Do you have any suggestions for how to deal with eyes and eyelids on this model? I've got the eye sockets in but I think I'm going to have a tough time getting the eyes to look right.

dragon_head_birdseye_view.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just added another patch to the top half of the front of the snout, but I still have 3 point patches. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get around that.

How do you go about adjusting bias? There is alpha, gamma and in and out magnitude. I'm not really sure what I should be adjusting.

• Hash Fellow
I just added another patch to the top half of the front of the snout, but I still have 3 point patches. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get around that.

How do you go about adjusting bias? There is alpha, gamma and in and out magnitude. I'm not really sure what I should be adjusting.

I like to stretch the magnitude out a bit then drag my cursor on the gamma property to rock the bias handle back and forth and see if the crease gets better or worse in either direction.

• Hash Fellow

However, a better first gambit would be to move the three pointers away from the edge of the snout by inserting a spline like this:

snout.jpg

three- and five-pointers are happiest when they can be a flat as possible and not trying to span sharp curves.

Ok so I have added some patches to the upper part of the snout. I'm more or less satisfied with the way this is looking. However, I'm not sure how I'm going to do an eyelid. I've thought about using a half sphere for the eyelid but not sure how thta is going to look. Maybe I would be better off with a different style eye?

headshot.jpg

• Hash Fellow
However, I'm not sure how I'm going to do an eyelid. I've thought about using a half sphere for the eyelid but not sure how thta is going to look. Maybe I would be better off with a different style eye?

Give all the ideas a try and see what works best.

I closed off the back of the eye sockets, added sphere primitives for the actual eyeballs and then did a half sphere for the lids. I think it looks fairly decent, so I'll probably go that route with the penguin but add some long eyelashes.

This is starting to look fairly decent.

dragon_head_with_eyes_and_lids.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
I closed off the back of the eye sockets, added sphere primitives for the actual eyeballs and then did a half sphere for the lids. I think it looks fairly decent, so I'll probably go that route with the penguin but add some long eyelashes.

The eyelids do help defuse that stunned look.

The eyelids do help defuse that stunned look.

Yeah, amazing what eyeballs and eyelids do to get rid of that undead look :) I think the reason I waited so long to do it is I wasn't sure how to properly do it. But this looks pretty good.