Hash, Inc. Forums

AM 64 bit hangs up with decals?

Tom

Hello-

I am runnings AM 18.0 f SSE3 on Windows 7 with an Intel Q 965/963 graphics card. It is an HP computer (bought second hand). My Animation Master "Real Time Driver " is open GL. I tried "Open GL3" but the system said that failed.

I can import images into the Project workspace but when I drag then into the model window to apply as a decal I get the attached error message?

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a setting I can change to make it not crash?

many thanks for any insights!

Tom

error.jpg

Thanks for taking the time Rob!

All of your suggestions are excellent. I just upgraded to 18g and tried different formats and all do the same thing.

The bitmaps will load into the "Images" section of the Project workspace and then AM hangs up when I drag those images into the model window (whether as a rotoscope or a decal).

I must have a wimpy graphics card or something. ANy idea what might be causing the hangup?

Many thanks!

Tom

EDIT: forgot to say - I am NOT experiencing the same problem as Tom. I am able to decal models by dragging images to model window.

But something is fishy-wishy.

I have tried opengl3 with 18gSSE4/64 and I am having issues with both opengl3 and opengl

1) hair will not display in real-time at all with openGL3, in shaded mode and shaded/wireframe. But will probably render.

2) If I go to Opengl with hair ON, hair displays but the patches are "see thru" in shaded mode (ie can see thru the model). Patches are not see thru with hair on and in shaded/wireframe mode.

3) If I turn hair off with opengl, the patches will display correctly in shaded mode

nvidia geforce gtx 650 Ti

1opengl3HairONver18gHairdisplay-problems.jpg

2openglHairONver18gHairdisplay-problems.jpg

3openglHairOFFver18gHairdisplay-problems.jpg

4openglHairONshadedwireframever18gHairdisplay-problems.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

• Hash Fellow

How interesting. I'll note that I was an early tester of v18g and did all my waving grass experiments with it and it all sailed right through.

I wonder how Tor is doing?

IIRC, Steffen reverted to an Intel compiler for this version and an Intel-compiled version was the last one that Tor had usable graphics on.

I updated the graphics card driver and things seem faster and better all around (Thanks for the tip!).

I am pretty familiar with decals and tried adding them from the v18 models window with a right click...same result...

the program hung up.

What I have resorted to is using v17 to build decaled models and then I can import them into v18 with no problems. (?)

That seems to tell me there is some bug in the newer version that just needs a little tweeking.

I guess I will just use my workaround (of v17) until things get fixed.

Thanks for all the help!

Tom

Hmm Hair displays properly in OGL and OGL3 here but recently changed to ATI. Wonder if it's an Nvidia update that might have nerfed it?

Did you guys recently update the Nvidia drivers when this started?

My model works in 18a OpenGL and but NOT in OpenGL3 in 18a. That is: with OpenGL hair displays, in shaded and shaded/wireframe, and the patches are not see thru (like in 18g). Hair does NOT display at all in opengl3 in 18a (same as 18g). I just noticed this, as I had been using OpenGl, and had primarily been using 17g and 16b.

The model and hair material were created in ver 16b/32. The hair uses an image emitter, and the hair color is driven by a decal. I have noticed that other old models using opengl, have similar see thru problems in 18g (but do not have problem in 18a )

I have not yet tried to recreate new hair materials on a new model in 18g to see if the problem is caused by using an old model.

I have NOT updated my nvidia drivers as I am afraid to disrupt those versions of A:M which already work. But I supppose at some point I should do it. ugh. bleck.

EDIT: I just tried creating new model, new hair in 18g - experiencing same problem as with old model created in 16b. Opengl3 does not display hair at all, opengl displays hair, patches ok in shaded/wireframe, but in shaded mode : hair ok, but patches are "see thru"

EDIT2: New simple model with hair just NOW (all of a sudden) displays hair with both opengl,gl3. But in both gl, gl3 the patches are see thru in shaded mode. Older model (created in 16b) still does not display hair in opengl3.

Edited by NancyGormezano

If you want to post a test model I can check it here and see if it's an Nvidia specific issue.

Not sure if you are referring to Tom or I, but I have nvidia, I believe Tom has Intel card. So our problems may or may not be related.

I have noticed new problems, when I created new hair material and new simple model in 18g/64. (slightly different problem from display of older model, as hair does not display at all in OGL3 for older model)

When hair does display with OGL or OGL3 - the rt display looks different. The OGL version looks more like what I would expect. In both OGL and OGL3, the model patches appear see-thru in shaded mode, but not in shaded/wireframe..

I also experience a crash everytime when I try to delete the image type "other" which drives the diffuse hair color

I do have a test project, and would appreciate anyone trying it (see down below after images)

1) switch between OGL and OGL3 to see if you see a difference in display of hair.

2) change from shaded to shaded/wireframe in both OGL and OGL3 to notice see thru effect. Will have to go into birdseye view (T), rotate around to notice weirdness or view from bottom

2) try deleting the image type other

18gsimplehairdecaled.zip

1deletingCausesCRASH.jpg

2OGL3newwindowDifferentsamemodel.jpg

3OGLDifferentthanOGL3samemodel.jpg

4OGL3DifferentthanOGLsamemodelandDIFFthannewwindowl.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

• Hash Fellow

Damn, I thought I posted a reply but it's not here.

I get the same results as you, Nancy.

I'll note that The see-through effect occurs for me in shaded mode, but not in wireframe or shaded wireframe modes.

• ____ 1

Just reading this thread late, yes- this crash was happening to me in 18.0f as well, upon release of an image into a model with the intent to decal- boom!... one of the things that drove me back to 17. I am trying-out 18.0G now... will report.

REPORT- It worked well in 18.0G! Happy to see I did not crunch!

• Hash Fellow

I'll note that The see-through effect occurs for me in shaded mode, but not in wireframe or shaded wireframe modes.

Thanks for trying. And I believe you have an ATI card? or Nvidia?

Nvidia here.

Definitely do a bug report of what you have found, Nancy.

Interesting... I am using an AMD HD7850 here. I have the same problem when using Shaded.

When using Shaded+Wireframe the problem is gone.

That should be findable... :).

OpenGL / OpenGL3 issue: The hair is brighter for me too. Otherwise everything is normal.

And deleting the "other" image crashes A:M for me too.

See you

*Fuchur*