Hash, Inc. Forums

high viscosity

• Hash Fellow

Matt asked about my viscosity settings. These tests all have viscosity set to 199.9999

200 produces particle that never leave the emitter.

Note to future experimenters... you can enter 199.9999 (will appear as "200") in the viscosity box and run fluids with that but if you save and reload the PRJ it will come back as a real 200. You need to manually re-enter 199.9999

I think viscosity has more to do with the particles' movement through space (it slows them down) than with their interaction with each other.

That said, high Visc seems to exacerbate the tendency of the fluid to crawl up the sides of the container. That is very odd.

The first two clips have identical settings except that "Cull Particles" is ON in the first and OFF in the second. the result is slightly different in the final arrangement of particles but other than that it looks to have the same behavior. There didn't seem to be a big difference in sim time either.

The rest of the clips are other setting change tests, but all with high viscosity.

Bowl06HighViscTests.mov

• Hash Fellow

Rule of thumb... If you reduce the particle size by half, you need to increase the emission rate by 8x to create the same volume of fluid.

For example, it would take eight 1cm spheres to equal the volume of one 2cm sphere.

8x the particles means 8x the simulation time so use the largest particles you can for the fluid effect you are developing.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Admin

Very interesting. I like!

One of the downsides of particle fluids is that it tends to create same size droplets.

Assuming you don't already have such a plan... if the shot allows for it I'd suggest running that same simulation about three times at different particle sizes and then composite all three together.

In that way you'' get a layered effect of different sized water droplets. You can then stagger the timing and placement of those to get further differentiation.