Hash, Inc. Forums

Loving Retopology

No idea why I didn't try this earlier but retopology is so much easier than trying to 'fix' imported models :)

WIP:

The beauty of retopology is that it forces you to 'learn' spline topology without having to concentrate on making a model.

Cheers

Retopology.jpg

Retopology01.jpg

Great work, David.

At first blush, I thought this might be a good tool for beginners, but it's obvious that you still need to be knowledgeable about spline continuity and patch modeling to get good results.

Although, I'm guessing looking at the underlying geometry might suggest new solutions when you're modeling.

The beauty of this process as a learning tool is that you don't have to concern yourself with what the model will look like. At times the retopology was just the standard AM CP/spline fare but at other times I had the opportunity to experiment and see what worked and what didn't work. Porcelain can only 'fix' so much :)

And don't forget that the Quad contours the OBJ is modelled with were developed over many years so following their contours can be advantageous in places.

Note that I have DAZ 3D, Poser Pro (no idea why I purchased this as I still haven't used it) and ZBrush. The latter is a dream app for sculpting though I drown at times trying to get my head around the array of tools and techniques available to me. The retopology tool inside it is great though only useful up to a point (you loose way too much detail if you try to reduce the quads to AM level patch counts).

Cheers

• Hash Fellow
At first blush, I thought this might be a good tool for beginners, but it's obvious that you still need to be knowledgeable about spline continuity and patch modeling to get good results.

A good screencam tutorial project for someone would be to take a model as David has done and talk about how one decides where to put the splines.

Someone do that.

Very nice David

I tried to play with this and was not able to get it to look good

Well Done and thanks

Steve

Create a new group containing the whole model and use "Average Normals" = On and "Normal Weight" = 100.

THat should give you a quite good looking model when brought to a choreography. (use final-rendering if you see some odd edges)

See you

*Fuchur*

woman.jpg

• 7 months later...

Do you want to ask if someone else has a bug too or what are you refering to?

The images shown above are (as far as I can see) as they should be. It is just a best practice to make the object to be retopolied half transparent so you are better able to see the newly created patches.

See you

*Fuchur*

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I rediscover Sculptriss, and I like it very much. If I do retopologize in Hash, I can bring the obj file into sculptriss and reduce polygon to 2,000 for one of the exported poser model, and then bring it in to Hash for surface snapping skinning. So much easier to skin a reduce polygon model.

One of the other thing I like to do is use the retopology tool in Silo3d and make a rough drawings of the lines, then start slicing up the polygon using select loop and split loop, then surface snap all the new point and then export to Hash to clean up.

Now to reverse this technique in making clothes, headress, and boots. Take the final mesh from hash and export it to Silo3d and start surface snapping to the new model the clothes and apparel accessory, and then export it to Hash again.

The way Silo extend skin during surface snapping to nearby mesh is so fast. That it is faster than anything I have seen.

So my new workflow now include Sculptriss and Silo2.3 for my main Hash Animation project.

I am on Picarto.tv where I can livestream my work and show you how to use Silo2.3
Skype me anytime and I can go set it up for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU1Wo7SWqD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B40eeum3dDU

Keep in mind that you would have to try follow Hash rules for modeling, avoid triangles and leave the 5 pts open to be filled in Hash. When you import it into Hash you can fix minor stuff. Hash imports OBJ file really well provided that you keep everything in Quad mesh work. You would also watch out for continuity of the spline and detach and re-attach can fix that.

http://cyberdreamcreation.tumblr.com/image/111648435920

I model the basic body in Sculptress, then export it to Silo2.3, and then retopologize with surface tool in Silo2.3 then import it into Hash Animation Master fix a few spline and add 5 pts patch for the body.

Then bring the model back into Silo2.3 to make the bikini top and bottom. using surface tool make the mesh and then create a shell of the mesh. then import it back into Hash AM.

In hash retoploogy I have to be right over on top to place the pt on the surface, while in Silo it does a pretty good job laying the pt on the surface from the side of the object much more accurately, and therefore less turning of the model, and less frustration. The only thing to be careful of is not to accidentally attach the mesh to the back side of the model mesh work. In surface snapping you lay it out like your mowing the lawn across the object. While in retoplogy mode you can draw with a pen all the lattices of the model and when you are finish hit the enter button, and all of the mesh appear. I wish there was an erase button for that thou. I have seen others use 3Dmax and have frustration in trying to click it or grab pts while retopolgy. So far Silo is fast and less headache. I have not try blender.

What I did is make a really fast and loose model, and and then use puzh it to make it fatter then import it to Silo and then use select loop and split loop around the detail area so I can lay it over a poser model, then use cloth fit over the existing model ( make sure all normal are correctly display) shrink it to fit.

Then bring it in back in silo and move all the detail pt to be right where you want them to be. Bring back into Hash for a final model.

Many of the model making program have the shell tool in converting all of the single layer mesh into a thicker front and back side of the same mesh. That shell tool is great for making clothes, Helmet, armor, shoe and so forth.

I would say from what I have seen, ZBrush is hand down the best at retopology, but I am on the budget. Blender might be the cheapest route.