Hash, Inc. Forums

Setup pose

Been a bit distracted recently by other work but, trying to get back into finishing Ska Lake properly. One of the things it was intended to do was to test the models. And it has definitely done that ! The young Boy ( Charlie) was adapted from a Make Human file and, it came with the pose of the arms down at the sides. All the models I've made in the past have used a T pose for the rig installation so it was something new to me. That pose seemed to complicate the installation of the 2008 rig but that may just have been my error.

Now trying to re rig the model and wondered if there were any views as to the best setup pose to use ? T pose, arms at side or something altogether different ?

simon

• Hash Fellow

The 45 degree slant pose is a nice compromise between T-pose and arms-down. It might be easier when you do CP weighting to have that as the starting point.

But I've never tried it on my models yet, I've always been doing T-pose, just because.

Gerald, Robert

Thank you for your replies. I think my problems arise from my cp weighting and will have to bit the bullet and do it all again. It wasn't apparent when using toon render with flat colours but it becomes very evident when using shadow with fall off.

sadly

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

Gerald, Robert

Thank you for your replies. I think my problems arise from my cp weighting and will have to bit the bullet and do it all again. It wasn't apparent when using toon render with flat colours but it becomes very evident when using shadow with fall off.

sadly

regards

simon

If you get stuck, post it and we'll look at it.

Robert, David

Thank you for your replies.

Some of those Yoga poses are very strange indeed. If you put them on a demo reel or animation they would not be credible...

Make Human seems to come with the modified T pose so I'll give that another go. Suspect the problem is that, as usual, I jumped iinto it before it was fully ready to go and then tried to modify it along the way when the problems became apparent. Think what I should try to do is develop a movement sequence that puts the model through a wide range of positions then use that to test any new models against later on ?

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

My tactic has been to test each joint as i weight/fanbone/smartskin it. I have the model open in an action window so I can test rotate the bone while I'm working on it in another window.

That way I only need to have the geometry bones in the model and don't need to have the rigging constraints done yet.