Hash, Inc. Forums

glip, glap, glop

• Hash Fellow

I'm wishing fluids had something like the "damping" setting cloth does so it could eventually lose energy and stop moving.

I recall Fluids were written by a college student that Martin had as an intern several years ago. I wonder if he could be located....

Yeah- they were on to something great, I remember Martin was VERY excited about his AMFluid feature when they released it, none of the 'biggie' programs have very good fluid simulations- beyond what A:M has anyway, then there is Blender which has a pretty good one for the price. The problem I see in these great tests is that the particles keep 'solving' over and over and a relaxed state seems unachievable. Just out of curiosity... what do you set the viscosity setting to?

• Hash Fellow

over and a relaxed state seems unachievable. Just out of curiosity... what do you set the viscosity setting to?

There are several viscosities here.

200 is the maximum. That seems to make fluid that never leaves the emitter but you can do settings like 199.999 and get semi solid lumps that never flatten out on the ground. However, even with that high viscosity they never stop vibrating. :angry:

I've done tests with these fluids in A:M over and over now for a while. The particles won't settle. The "jittering" is always there. It seems like

every 6 months I go back and do some more experimenting....thinking I can get it to solve...But it always results in a similar outcome.

It's very frustrating as JB said because the system has great promise. But unless it is improved, I think the fluid system needs a second round of development.

WITH THAT SAID.....maybe there is a magic bullet set up that I haven't been able to obtain. Hopefully there is a setting or adjustment that can work.

• Hash Fellow

I'm going to guess that using 64bit A:M is preferred when using Fluids as that allows for the use of more memory?

It hadn't occurred to me. i only have a 64-bit version of the new "g" beta.

Next time i run a bake I'll take a look but so far the bake files have been way less than a Gig.

• Hash Fellow

I'm guessing that you could get less jittering using some tweaking of frames...manually slowing frames down (go from 24 fps to 1 fps gradually). I haven't tried it, but it makes sense in my head.

I've been experimenting with variations of this. Averaging several frames together... baking at one fps and rendering at another... so far no great successes but i'm still looking at it.