Hash, Inc. Forums

How much can you scale up the clothwater before you run into problems? I guess making an ocean is out of the question? Being able to make nice looking wakes after a boat would be fantastic

• Hash Fellow

Thanks, everyone!

How much can you scale up the clothwater before you run into problems? I guess making an ocean is out of the question? Being able to make nice looking wakes after a boat would be fantastic

I'm not sure what the upper limits are. It's mostly about how long you want to wait to simulate something, knowing that you'll need to revise and retry several times to get what you want but that's true of "real" water simulations also. This shark thing with 2cm patches only takes a few minutes to sim, but one of my previous ripple tests with 0.5cm patches took several hours.

I'm sure there's a way to put this cloth water in the relevant part of a larger scene. I don't know what that is yet but it's probably out there. :)

I'll note that Charles Babbage (?) has a tut out there for creating nice looking boat wakes using particles to generate a displacement map. You might look at that technique also.

• Hash Fellow

Rob,

If you have time, shoot a video of yourself or someone in a bathtub and composite the "tub shark" into the scene. I'm cracking up thinking about the possibilities.

It would have to be the "or someone" ;)

Tricky to do in a bathtub situation, in any event.

• 3 weeks later...