Hash, Inc. Forums

Non Photo Realistic Rendering

Tom

Hi Tom.

Interesting video. We don't have anything like the jot demo (where the contours of the model are changed based on the artist stroke).

For non-photo realistic rendering, there are many options. It's up to your imagination.

To start, one can play with toon rendering, in combo with a variety of materials. These images are the result of using a gradient material, and changing the 2nd attribute to be a bitmap plus material. Many variations can be obtained by changing the image used in the bitmap plus node (plus changing it's repeat count). Combos are unlimited.

Similarly, other non-realistic, sketchy type effects can be approximated by using the matcap shader, some examples shown here

Other interesting effects can be obtained by combining matcap & bitmapplus (with or without gradient). Be prepared for hours,...nay....days of experimenting.

And there are a variety of plug in materials to experiment with (eg toon nation, etc).

And I suspect that even more interesting effects can be obtained with using displacement decals (will modify the model contours) in combo with bitmap plus, and matcap. Haven't tried that yet.

screengrab.jpg

01bitmapgradientmultihue100x1yDarkpurp100IntensityFakeoToonoverrideshadingyellowline0.png

02bitmapgradientmultihue100x100ymetalholes20x20100IntensityFakeoToonoverrideshadingyellowline0.png

03bitmapgradientmultihue100x100ymetalholes20x20100IntensityREDDARKFakeoToonoverrideshadingpurproto0.png

04bitmapgradientmultihue100x100ymetalholes20x20100IntensityREDDARKFakeoToonoverrideshadinredroto0.png

• Hash Fellow

Nancy does a lot of cool non-conventional renders!

A lot of the look of the samples in that video at the top could be had if one was willing to do a bit of compositing with buffers that A:M can generate.

I'm thinking of doing my next "It can't be done" on getting non-CG looks with extended render techniques.

Thanks Nancy!

Those are some cool images...

Is matcap a shader for AM? or is it something that you created on your own?

Thanks!

Tom

Hey Tom- MatCap can be selected for the Diffuse and Ambiance Render Shaders, you will need to select an image- and turn ON Plugin Shaders in the Render Options.

tempry.jpg

Thank you so much for the reply!

I checked my diffuse menu (see attached) and it has everything listed except the matcap...

Is there somewhere I can download it?

Many thanks!

Tom

PS.I thought I attached the menu file but it didn't show up in the post.Hmmmmm

Anyway, if there is a place to download the matcap, that would be great...

Thank you so much for the reply!

I checked my diffuse menu (see attached) and it has everything listed except the matcap...

Is there somewhere I can download it?

try this post for matcap

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39287&p=342984

I do not know if it is available for macs

Its been a while since I tried but, had trouble finding instructions or outline for Toon Nation are there any available ?

Ack. Sorry Simon - as far as I can tell there aren't any instructions for the toon nation plugin material - it's mainly a matter of experimenting and seeing what happens. I haven't had a lot of luck with some of the options, and it's been a long time since I've played with it - but the "sketchy" one seems to respond if you change some parameters to 100 (like effect amount, or something like that). am assuming you are not looking for instructions for the toon rendering option provided by hash.

Edited by NancyGormezano

Nancy does a lot of cool non-conventional renders!

A lot of the look of the samples in that video at the top could be had if one was willing to do a bit of compositing with buffers that A:M can generate.

I'm thinking of doing my next "It can't be done" on getting non-CG looks with extended render techniques.

Robert

I'd be very interested in those if you did choose that option !

regards

simon

Ack. Sorry Simon - as far as I can tell there aren't any instructions for the toon nation plugin material - it's mainly a matter of experimenting and seeing what happens. I haven't had a lot of luck with some of the options, and it's been a long time since I've played with it - but the "sketchy" one seems to respond if you change some parameters to 100 (like effect amount, or something like that). am assuming you are not looking for instructions for the toon rendering option provided by hash.

Nancy

It is some time since I looked at them, I was interested in the sketchy, watercolour and ink options, non cg basically... You have clearly put a lot of time and effort into your understanding of the materials and render options and get such outstanding results as a consequence. I think that may have to be the next area for me to explore in greater depth. I forget the name of the person involved but he wrote some render options then donated them before moving on to work for Pixar ( he may have been english too ). I did contact him briefly to ask if there were any instructions but didn't get very far unfortunately.

regards

simon

It is some time since I looked at them, I was interested in the sketchy, watercolour and ink options, non cg basically...I forget the name of the person involved but he wrote some render options then donated them before moving on to work for Pixar ( he may have been english too ). I did contact him briefly to ask if there were any instructions but didn't get very far unfortunately.

After doing a search I came up with this post:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5544&p=29589

I haven't tried toonation plugin in the recent versions of a:m

but that post (by Rodney in 2004) came up with some preliminary info about some of the styles:

Sketching

These textures all work best in flat shaded mode (tools->options->rendering->flatshaded)

and apart from gooch shading, they work on a common principle.

A virtual 'light' is specified which defaults to over the viewers right shoulder (ish).

As the surface is rendered, if the light hitting it is below a certain threshold then it is defined as on an edge. The softness of this threshold can be controlled.

Sketch

This plugin attempts to provide a pencil or ink sketch of the object. Noise can be added to give a rougher look. Scaling the noise in X or Y gives direction to the roughness

tips :

- Set the camera background colour to white in the choreography.

- Chatter adds random variation per frame to the noise

- centre the light (x=0,y=0,z=-10) for even outlines.

- intensity=30ish, softness of less than 5 gives a nice inked outline

InkPen

Inkpen uses 'hatching' to give a stylised graphic ink pen look.

tips :

- The hatching appears in the soft area - larger soft values will increase the area over which the hatching appears.

- Higher light values will reduce the thickness of the solid ink.

- the X and Y noise scale parameters control the thickness(and direction) of the hatching

InkStroke

InkStroke uses a texture map in the inked area of the render.

tips :

- try using a rough paper texture (like those in 'texturiser' in photoshop)

- try using a scribbled image for strokes.

WaterColour

Water colour produces a painterly sketch effect. It is very loosely based on the effect achieved in the PDI short fishing, although using a totally different method.

Tips:

- The noise control brings through the 'paper' colour by adding white noise.

- High frequency noise gives a rough paper effect.

- Low frequency noise gives a washed effect to the colours.

- Use different colours for the dark and medium bands.

- Render with Toon lines for a nice effect.

- Variation with low frequency creates a 'looser' sketch.

Gooch

This is based on a siggraph paper by Gooch et al. It is an attempt to produce a shader that can be used for a technical drawing type effect. The shader works by adding blue to dark colours, and yellow to light colours. The reasoning being that you can still make out dark areas as they are not all black. Also metal shading adds banding in the Y direction.

Tips :

- This shader works really well with Toon Lines.

It is some time since I looked at them, I was interested in the sketchy, watercolour and ink options, non cg basically...I forget the name of the person involved but he wrote some render options then donated them before moving on to work for Pixar ( he may have been english too ). I did contact him briefly to ask if there were any instructions but didn't get very far unfortunately.

After doing a search I came up with this post:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5544&p=29589

I haven't tried toonation plugin in the recent versions of a:m

but that post (by Rodney in 2004) came up with some preliminary info about some of the styles:

Sketching

These textures all work best in flat shaded mode (tools->options->rendering->flatshaded)

and apart from gooch shading, they work on a common principle.

A virtual 'light' is specified which defaults to over the viewers right shoulder (ish).

As the surface is rendered, if the light hitting it is below a certain threshold then it is defined as on an edge. The softness of this threshold can be controlled.

Sketch

This plugin attempts to provide a pencil or ink sketch of the object. Noise can be added to give a rougher look. Scaling the noise in X or Y gives direction to the roughness

tips :

- Set the camera background colour to white in the choreography.

- Chatter adds random variation per frame to the noise

- centre the light (x=0,y=0,z=-10) for even outlines.

- intensity=30ish, softness of less than 5 gives a nice inked outline

InkPen

Inkpen uses 'hatching' to give a stylised graphic ink pen look.

tips :

- The hatching appears in the soft area - larger soft values will increase the area over which the hatching appears.

- Higher light values will reduce the thickness of the solid ink.

- the X and Y noise scale parameters control the thickness(and direction) of the hatching

InkStroke

InkStroke uses a texture map in the inked area of the render.

tips :

- try using a rough paper texture (like those in 'texturiser' in photoshop)

- try using a scribbled image for strokes.

WaterColour

Water colour produces a painterly sketch effect. It is very loosely based on the effect achieved in the PDI short fishing, although using a totally different method.

Tips:

- The noise control brings through the 'paper' colour by adding white noise.

- High frequency noise gives a rough paper effect.

- Low frequency noise gives a washed effect to the colours.

- Use different colours for the dark and medium bands.

- Render with Toon lines for a nice effect.

- Variation with low frequency creates a 'looser' sketch.

Gooch

This is based on a siggraph paper by Gooch et al. It is an attempt to produce a shader that can be used for a technical drawing type effect. The shader works by adding blue to dark colours, and yellow to light colours. The reasoning being that you can still make out dark areas as they are not all black. Also metal shading adds banding in the Y direction.

Tips :

- This shader works really well with Toon Lines.

Nancy.

Thank you very much indeed for the info. It will be a great help.

regards

simon

Nancy,

Is that rendering technique an all or nothing type approach? Meaning, all the characters in each render is exactly the same material wise, can you mix or do you have to render as completely separate passes if you want the characters to have individual properties?

Thanks.

Is that rendering technique an all or nothing type approach? Meaning, all the characters in each render is exactly the same material wise, can you mix or do you have to render as completely separate passes if you want the characters to have individual properties?

You can definitely mix styles ad nauseum, I made them all the same in the above examples for ease in illustration purposes. You can add the base gradient (with bitmap plus node) material to any group and then change the properties on an instance basis within each model. It just takes time to figure out what works well, and what doesn't.

Material starts as a gradient material, where the 2nd attribute node has been changed to be a bitmap plus material. I could have changed it to any kind of material (eg toon nation, environment, checkers, etc etc). Could have also changed the first attribute node to some other material as well, even another bitmap plus. You can also play with the start and end properties of the gradient to get a sharper line. But that start/end stuff confuses me a bit.

For this render, I've also rendered everything as a toon render (line width =.5, black, could be any color) with the toon shading = regular. I also used fakeao to give some more interest. Could have been flat shaded. So many possible variations/combos, just not enough time.

differentcombostogether.jpg

• ____ 1