Hash, Inc. Forums

Autodesk CAD and A:M

TRN

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about how A:M can be like Auto CAD. (if there is a section about this then please let me know or direct me) (sorry)

Years ago I used Auto CAD / Inventor and it was the easiest program to use to make any object. I liked how that in the program I can make a basic object and edit it in a breeze by clicking on parts and setting a measurement and it would auto correct and align itself.

An example would be a simple Lego piece.

I can make a block and add 1 cylinder at a corner. Then I can simply click on the block and type in the measurements to make a rectangle, and then click on the cylinder and input how many to copy/ paste and set the distance between them. PRESTO! A lego block in less the 30 seconds. :lol:

Now......

Can A:M do this?? If so. How? And Tutorials? :blink:

I apologize if this is a real dumb question but like I asked in my 3D Printing Thread, It's been since Verion 11.1 I have used A:M and I have no idea what it can do now. :P

medium.png

• Admin

Most CAD programs excel at drafting with precision.

As such, if you know precise measurements you'd be well served to create your shapes in CAD and then export them to A:M.

In A:M then simply import the Models as Props.

This isn't to say that A:M can't create very precise mechanical shapes but only that CAD programs are designed with tools for such static shape precision in mind from the beginning.

Most CAD programs do not do well at creating animatable characters and organic shapes.

For those you'd want to create them in A:M and then export them to AutoCAD (or the CAD program of your choice.

Whereas the most animation you are likely to get out of a CAD progam is a walkthrough A:M is designed for full articulation and animation.

There are several new tools in A:M that increase precision such as the Snap to Surface, Snap to Group and Snap to Control Point methods.

A tool you won't have in A:M and a lot of CAD programs is the tool that cuts, welds and overlays shapes.

But you can create those shapes in any vector (besier) drawing program such as CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator.

Both Corel and Adobe have created a slew of programs to augment and push that technology further.

Taking your lego example, several impressive animations have been created with lego pieces and there are lego models available in the A:M Exchange forum.

You can create those in approx. 5 seconds by dragging and dropping the models into A:M or (once added to your Library) from your Library panel into a workspace window.

The biggest difference is probably price.

With the exception of free CAD programs you'll pay considerably more for a CAD program because tolerances are much tighter in the precision modeling and manufacturing world.

To achieve the best of both worlds use both A:M and the CAD program of your choice.

• Hash Fellow

Short answer... no. A:M does precise industrial design about as readily as AutoCAD does fine character animation.

that Lego block can certainly be made in A:M...

lego.JPG

...but the automatic conglomeration of primitives ... box + cylinders x 8 = Lego Block... no.

In A:M those shapes are manually knit together. It's not hard to do but not as automatic as sticking the cylinder into the box and getting a seamless join via a command.

The Primitives wizard does let you input exact dimensions for basic shapes like boxes and spheres but they are very primitive primitives, no bevels.

For the most part, precision sizing is up to the modeler using the rulers in the modeling window to check dimensions.

That said, A:M users like Charles Babbage have made very precise working models in A:M and 3D printed them...

BIfqFAG5olU

Charles also uses A:M in his day job designing elaborate mechanical devices for highly visible clients like the world's most famous theme park.

Why aren't these CAD conveniences in A:M? It is difficult to implement that in an all-spline modeling environment and it is also something rarely needed to carry out A:M's primary mission... character modeling and animation.

Martin said it outright several years ago, A:M is not intended to perform the functionality of industrial design tools like AutoCAD.

• Admin

Here's a link to one of the lego models in A:M Exchange:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...017&hl=lego

post-6746-1264142728.jpg

It's been awhile since I've used any CAD programs but by themselves I've never seen them animate things like this:

pzTisU5fJrQ

Of course there are applications that are specifically built for creating legos!

• 6 months later...
  • Hash Fellow

Just looking through here and noticed the gibberish in the middle of the posts. Something up with the forum? URLs that didn't transfer, maybe?

Looks like some old-style Youtube URLS didn't convert.

I tend to use a mix of objects in AM. Objects that need to be articulated with bones or are characters etc I would spend the time to model them in AM. Static objects that fill the scene I often use cad models and import them in as obj's. I would love to see the ability to place decals on obj files in AM but currently you can't do that on props, at least not at this time. In that case I either uv map and paint them outside in 3d Coat or I make and decal the model in AM.

My only beef with AM for mechanical modeling is not so much a precision issue but rather the auto bias handle balancing. This can be an annoyance when you need to go back and tweak handles. I wish it could be turned off or have some way of freezing their relation to each other.

Example of what I was meant is if you made a perfect circle then added a cp or disconnected a cp the curve of the circle is changed. This makes mechanical modeling a little more tedious than if the curvature was preserved.

I did notice and think someone mentioned this already that Shift Clicking when adding cps no longer creates a sharp edge or noncontinuous spline but just adds as if it was a normal click.

• Hash Fellow

Example of what I was meant is if you made a perfect circle then added a cp or disconnected a cp the curve of the circle is changed. This makes mechanical modeling a little more tedious than if the curvature was preserved.

I did notice and think someone mentioned this already that Shift Clicking when adding cps no longer creates a sharp edge or noncontinuous spline but just adds as if it was a normal click.

Shift-clicking when adding a CP will "maintain curvature" in the original spline.

I haven't seen a spline environment that can maintain curvature when removing a CP.

You can preserve the form better if you use peaked mode. You need to readjust the bias handler then, but you can still create a curvy form using peaked points.

It will of course not help for deleting points, but it will help when moving points around.

In addition to the stitch-mode (Shift-Add-Click) it can be very helpful for such structures.

I explain a little about that in my tutorial Basics of Patch Modelling around 28 minutes:

http://www.patchwork3d.de/html/page.php?page_id=80&lan=en

Very useful for mechanical modelling.

See you

*Fuchur*