Hash, Inc. Forums

Logitech G13 gamepad for AM!

Hi,

Just wanted to recommend to any and all to consider using the G13 if you're still using the keyboard. I bought it from Amazon and have now set it up for modeling. Later on, I'll set up separate profiles for rigging and animating. Right now, I'm going to get used to the layout by building a bunch of nurnies.

Steve P.

No lefty models of those. I do find the space mouse to be pretty handy when modeling but lacks programmable buttons for modifier keys. The more expensive ones have lots more buttons but not really worth the price tag since they could cut into my beer budget :0

• Hash Fellow

For people like me who don't know what a Logitech G13 Gamepad looks like, it's a beast!

No lefty models of those.

From the pic I'd think it IS a left-hand model. Wouldn't you move the joystick with your thumb? Or would a left handed person want the opposite?

g13-gaming-gameboard-images.png

The joystick is operated by your thumb. I had looked into those before. I do have a Zpad that has common game keys on it's own game board, basically a reduced keyboard.

Personally I find it easier to remember the short keys in each program rather than try to re-map them to something else and re-mapping on a separate device takes more getting used to.

I actually stopped using my 3d mouse after the "fixed" the universal anywhere driver and no longer offer the older one. At the time it was really nice to breeze to pan, scroll and zoom and in some apps rotate the screen as well as the usual 3d manipulations but the stock drivers are best described as crap making it only semi useful for some apps.

• Hash Fellow
I actually stopped using my 3d mouse after the "fixed" the universal anywhere driver and no longer offer the older one.

They have an option for "Also show archived* software" on their driver search page. Even that doesn't have it?

• 1 month later...

I stumbled across this little program that can assign key, key combos, joystick or mouse movements onto other input devices. It was designed to make game controllers like xbox 360 controllers compatible with all programs but it also works on space mice. This would certainly work in enabling the joystick on the game pad to work in AM.

www.xpadder.com

There is no installer for it, program just runs, the interface is a little different but pretty easy to set up. It does not auto switch profiles created for each application so you have to load what you want to use. The program is $9.99

I guess I'm too set in my ways. Looking at that thing makes me head hurt! There's no way I could get used to working with a device like that since it is so in grained in me to simply mouse to a command button, click. I have a hard time remembering keyboard shortcuts let alone shortcuts from another device..