Hash, Inc. Forums

Face Rig

Shelton

• *A:M User*

I am starting somewhat of a face rig. It is going to be a small amount of bones and a lot of pose sliders. I want to do Face cam and nulls to activate the pose sliders. Face cam no issue. Nulls activating pose sliders big issue. Can some one direct me in the right direction

Steve

• Hash Fellow

You can make a pose slider part of a smartskin, meaning that you can set positions on a pose slider for a particular rotation of a bone.

Then you could make the bone Aim At a Null. Moving the null rotates the bone... rotating the bone controls the pose slider... therefore, moving the null controls the pose slider.

I have done that on some face rigs I've done in the past.

A good portion of the pose sliders are muscle mode poses. So there is no bone rotation to tie to. And your way is a good idea and one I can use in the future, but I have already created the face poses and want to be able to use them.

• Hash Fellow

A good portion of the pose sliders are muscle mode poses. So there is no bone rotation to tie to. And your way is a good idea and one I can use in the future, but I have already created the face poses and want to be able to use them.

That doesn't matter. Add a dummy bone if you don't want to use one that's there already, make a new smart skin for it, pick two angles for the bone to have and set the pose slider on each one.

You can hide the bone later and never have to see it again.

This does work and will work for your situation.

Smartskin doesn't have to be about skin. It can tie ANYTHING to a bone rotation.

• Hash Fellow

Here's a demo...

The model is a Grid.

I made a pose slider (Hump Maker) and at 100% I made a hump in the middle of the grid with muscle mode.

Back in the model window I added Bone 1 and pointed it 45° to the left. I also added a null at where the bone points.

I made a smartskin for Bone 1. I rotated the bone to 90° on the Y axis and moved the pose slider to 100%.

Now when the bone is rotated from 0° to 90° the pose slider moves from 0% to 100%

Then, in a new On/Off Pose, I added a constraint to Aim Bone 1 At the Null.

(I also added a translate limits constraint to the null so it can only slide on one axis, but that isn't strictly necessary)

Now the null can be slid let and right and will control the hump in the grid.

Try it.

NullControlDemo.prj

• Hash Fellow

I've found an odd problem.

in v18f if I slide the null back and forth a bit, then change the graphics mode (shaded, shaded wireframe, wireframe) a few times I will get a lock up.

in v17 it's OK. I haven't experimented more yet to see if there are other cases like this.

• Hash Fellow

The problem step seems to start after adding the smartskin on the bone.

Once that is added and tested in the chor things start to slowly go bad. First I can't switch to shaded mode, then I can't select different bones, then I get a screen freeze.

Yes,

I find that V18 crashes very frequently when pasting and working on complexed things.

It does however have some serious improvements on things that were sketchy in v17. I find that the retopo in V18 works much better for instance.

But there are more crashes with v18.

I have had some issues of that as well.

But the next area is dynamic constraints. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere.

Robert thanks but the prj does crash with me. I am reading on what I want in a face rig and will come back to this in a couple days.

• Hash Fellow

I have had some issues of that as well.

But the next area is dynamic constraints. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere.

Robert thanks but the prj does crash with me. I am reading on what I want in a face rig and will come back to this in a couple days.

try it in v17

• Hash Fellow

FWIW... No issues with your file here in v18f Robert.

Good to hear. I guess this is a variant of NVIDIA graphics card problem some of us have.

Do you have an AMD card, Rodney?

• Admin
Do you have an AMD card, Rodney?

Intel Graphics here. I tend to go with whatever comes with the system I purchase and have been very fortunate in that for many years.

It's interesting to note that integrated graphics is something folks tend to steer away from but they've worked well for me ever since I moved toward laptops four or more years ago.

Of course this present system isn't a laptop but has been very stable. I occasionally see the offset manipulators folks have talked about (mostly when viewing from an odd angle in a Chor) but that doesn't seem to affect actual operation. In many ways this is the best system I've ever had and I attribute a lot of that to the extra RAM in this system. Previously I'd always hoped to upgrade RAM but never seemed to get that job done before moving on to another system. The last time I had major issues like others allude to here was back in the v12 timeframe and I'm pretty sure I had an Nvidia card then. I recall the experience being very painful... painful enough that even now I dread upgrading to new systems for fear of them not playing nice with A:M. So far so good though.

I dread upgrading to new systems for fear of them not playing nice with A:M.

Yup.

My winXP pro sp3 with nvidia (256MB), & old, ancient drivers was more stable, & worked smoother, with A:M 16b/32 than my new, win7 pro system (nvidia 1GB, new drivers) with 16b/32 or 64. The new system, is of course way faster for rendering, but it seems to hang?, and get into funny states, way more than old system configuration, which never seemed to hang. There seems to be more lag with screen updating sometimes, (perhaps relating to the longer the session goes on?)

I no longer have subscription on old system, so I can't really do a side by side to test my observation.

Maybe writing an expression could link your pose sliders for you. Its been sometime since I've written expressions so I can't offer the way to do this off the top of my head.... it might not even be linkable though. just a suggestion to investigate.